"People dont wear them....."

My 3 year old is just learning to ride his bike.He rides his scooter often and is trying to socialize with the neighbor kids,which imo is great every child needs a friend!Anyway the kids in my neighbor hood do not wear helmets,and its the law (not like that matters!).But today he told me the other kids dont wear a helmet,hes being self concouis,how do i get him past this stage?Thanks!

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 5:20 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• explain why he has to wear it, that if he falls it protects his head. and if that doesn't work you could always go with well if so and so jumped off a bridge would you?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• No helmet, no ride. It's law here, I don't know about where you are, but we get fined for it.

Take a watermelon or an egg, show him what happens when it hits the grill of a truck.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 5:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I like vabchimommy's answer. I don't know if you can or need to go into specifics such as if he falls and hits his head it could make him very very sick. Or maybe just that it is the law and we need to respect the law, and that he shouldn't say more to the other children than that his mother is making him, something like that. OR ... Maybe you could point out a SuperHero that he likes who wears a helmet, I dunno, The Flash maybe? I don't know the SuperHeroes theses days, even draw a symbol on his helmet that would be cool and indicate a SuperHero.

Answer by Bmat at 5:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I explain this as a matter of making good/safe choices and bad/unsafe choices. Wearing a helmet is a good choice and that means he gets to ride his bike. Choosing to not wear a helmet is a bad/unsafe choice and means that he also chooses the consequence of not riding his bike. We point out when people make good/bad or safe/unsafe choices all the time (whenever we see someone ride without a helmet, we identify it as a bad choice that person is making). I always encourage my son to make good choices and he WANTS to make good choices because he understands the consequences of making a bad choice, so I have identified wearing a helmet with making a good choice. If he chooses to make a bad choice, then he is also choosing the consequence of not being allowed to ride his bike. But I also remind him that sometimes, we all make bad choices - but then we have consequences, too.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• let him decorate it with his choice of stickers so maybe he will ike it more
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• mommymeg03-I let him pick out his helmet its hotwheels so its not that its uncool like they use to be lol.They make them better looking its just that he doesnt understand why the other kids dont wear them.

Thanks for the other suggestions,although Im not going to show him what your brain would look like once splattered.

I ended up telling him I love him and do not want him to get hurt so he has to wear a helmet and he said but the other people dont wear helmets I said well people whos mommys love them do..lol okay not nice but seriously its like not buckling your child up in the car-DUMB!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 6:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Hes 3, its not likely youre going to be able to explain or negotiate...I think you just need to make him do what you feel is best. I did not know it was the law though. That seems silly because its like moral monitoring everyone. My 3 yr old just got a bike too and OMG, hes hell on wheels. He knows only ONE speed and no brakes. Hes already riding with no hands (my profile pic). In our driveway, I don;t make him wear his helmet, but when we ride on the main road in the neighborhood, like if we are going for walk, he has to wear it. Our driveway is small and he just goes in circles. He actually prefers to wear it though. My 7 yr old doesnt wear one in the driveway either. He JUST learned how to ride without TW yesterday so his helmet was too small. I have to get him another. I think they are good, but I am not anal about it. My husband and I grew up jumping ramps and riding through the woods without helmets. Its not that bad.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:43 PM on May. 6, 2009

• No its not the same thing as not buckling up in the car. If a child falls and hits his head on the ground, well thats not the same as being in a crash with a 3,000 lb vehicle. If youre on the road and cars are passing you while riding a bike, then yes a helmet is a must. I guess Im old school though. Just not really paranoid about it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:45 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It is just as dangerous as not buckling a child in. My uncle was "old school" and didn't think it was important. In their little neighborhood, someone hit the 8 year old while they were backing out. He nearly died from brain injuries. The car was going slow. Drop a watermelon from waist high. Would you turn your kid upside down and do it? No. Start the habit now so that it's never an option.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree with apexmommy - I've heard of too many kids in the news or from family who didn't wear a helment and died because they were just out having fun on their bike. It's not so fun when you go head first at high speed into a pole because something "caught" in your wheel. A helmet is just as important, IMO, as a seatbelt, whether 3 or 33. I've never been in a car accident, doesn't mean I don't buckle up. I've never been in a bike accident, doesn't mean I don't wear a helmet. I guess when it comes to the brain, which is pretty much the most important part of your entire body, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:27 PM on May. 6, 2009