3-1 Pack and play- worth the money?

We plan on buying a 3-1 pack and play to use in our bedroom when the baby is born- using the bassinet part.

My questions are...
1) How long did you use your pack and play for?
2)Did you use it as a bassinet?
3) Did you actually use the changing table part?
I hear a lot of people say they didn't use it at all... and some say all the time. Im just wondering if we should get the one with a changing table on it. I would imagine we would use it while in our bedroom or in the living room... but we have a one story so the nursery is close so im wondering if we would be using the changing table in the nursery more even with the changing table on the pack and play.

Thanks!!

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 5:33 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the pack n play is uneccesary and expencive and I doubt you will use it regularly if at all
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 5:35 PM on May. 6, 2009

• if you do plan on getting one id get one used from craigslist or something...theyre cheaper that way and you wont feel dumb for buying it if you dont use it
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 5:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I have a cheaper one thats around $100 on my registry (as apposed to a $150 one that is more girly... I wouldn't pay $50 just for pink) but if I don't get it, I will prob look online for a used one... good advice cause yea, I would hate to pay $$ and not use it as much as I thought I would. Thanks
    shannonwooten

Answer by shannonwooten at 5:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I used mine as a bassinet for the first week. I put it right next to the bed, thinking that I would very easily just be able to get my baby out to feed when she was hungry in the middle of the night. It didn't work out so well. The pack and play was taller then the bed, so I still had to get out of the bed to actually be able to reach her.
    We do use it when we go on trips to visit my parents, but that's about it. It is nice to have the changing table, but if you can save money by getting one without it do it.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 5:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• with my other two I liked it best when I was away from home, especially camping or just sitting outside because there was a nice clean surface on which my baby could play.

I registered for and recieved one with this baby (because we already had a crib my fil wanted to buy a "bigger ticket" item- this one is very nice and versatile... but in the long run it all depends on the baby- My oldest used it a very long amount of time, she'd rather you let her lie there and look around, my second preferred to be held more and therefore didn't use it unless we were at grandma's house, and she needed to take a nap.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 5:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• We have a pack-n-play with just the bassinet. It doubles nicely for a changing table when we take it to visit grandma. I also plan to use it quite extensively this summer and at least get outside to enjoy the weather. I can cover it with a sheet and let Cian have a little place to play out in the yard while I hang laundry or just want to sit outside and read a book. He's quickly outgrowing the bassinet portion, but I think it was a great investment. If you can't find one on craig's list/Ebay and don't want to pay full price check out your local Freecycle board someone may just want to get one out of their closet...
    JenAndCian

Answer by JenAndCian at 5:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Be careful with used pack and plays. They have some of the highest recall rates of all baby equipment and there have been several deaths and injuries caused by them collapsing. If you're looking at a second hand one get the model and serial numbers then check for recalls.

That said, I wouldn't bother getting one at all. We had one which we used as a bassinet. DS hated it and was sleeping in his crib at 8 days old. He used it sometimes as a playpen but not nearly often enough to justify buying it. We didn't get the changing table one because we had a chest of drawers in DSs room that was the right height for a changing table anyway. There's no point in having 2 tables unless you have a huge house IMO, it only takes a few seconds to carry baby to the single table and it means all your stuff is in one place. Also the changing table has a pretty low weight limit and it's easier to just change on the bassinet part anyway
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i used the pack n play for my baby to play when he was younger. now that hes too big fir his regular bassinet, he sleeps in the pack n play in my room. also we have taken it on lots of trips for him to sleep in. i didnt use the changing table part cuz i didnt feel like it held the babys weight, it bowed down like it was gonna break. but i cant imagine having a baby without a pack n play!!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

• We used ours with our three year old ALL the time. Loved it. He loved it... I would put him down for his naps in it and kept it in the living room.

We would take it up to my inlaws when we would go visit so we would have a place to lay my son down.

We won a new one, I plan on using it with the new baby, and we took the old one to the inlaws permanently.

I bought my first one for $40. from a co-worker. Totally worth it. It was in excellent condition. They bought it for when they went on vacation and then never used it again.

richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 6:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I spent $5 on one at a garage sale, just the main part of it, and took it to the inlaws for good. I also bought a brand new one with bassinet and changing table for $90 to use at our house. Waste of money. The changing table seems very unsafe, and I swear I thought my son was gonna roll out of it, it doesnt lay flat. He used the bassinet part maybe 3 times, it also wasnt flat, and he kept rolling in it. The main part is now basically a toy box haha, although now that he is sitting up on his own, I might put him in it to play while I do laundry downstairs. I wish I would have just bought the $5 for myself and been done with it, I could use the $90 right about now haha
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 6:41 PM on May. 6, 2009