My 23 month old daughter is waking up 3 times a night...what do I do?

She doesn't want my husband, only me. She doesn't seem scared, but she cries until I come in and rock her for a few minutes. I have tried letting her cry it out, but she is also very stubborn and cries for over an hour. If she slept later I would live, but she is still awake by 6 or 6:30 in the morning. What am I doing wrong?

sweetaddie

Asked by sweetaddie at 5:34 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nothing

some kids just do that
    i had an awful time with mine until he was much older than i will tell you :)
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• What time do you put her to bed?
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 6:14 PM on May. 6, 2009

• By going in and rocking her, you're training her to continue waking up to be rocked. You need to leave her so she can learn to soothe herself and put herself back to sleep. It will probably take a few nights of crying, (her and possibly you too?) but it will work.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Is she going to be early enough? She needs 12 to 15 hours of sleep each day. Figure out how much of that is in naps and then count backwards from her normal wake up time. As a child gets more and more overtired, she will have a harder time falling asleep, will wake more easily and more often in the night, and will wake earlier in the morning.
    To help her "catch up", you might need to make her bedtime a little earlier than what you calculate for a few weeks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• maybe she still has energy and can't sleep. try wearing her out during the day and she will sleep better at night. Also look at what in her life could be affecting her sleeping problem, like diet, bedtime, emotions with family, attention,and on top of it all look at your sleeping pattern or stress and see if your patterns or stress is rubbing off on her.
    morgan453

Answer by morgan453 at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you all ladies...She slept through the night 2 nights in a row now!!!! I have tried to take her to the park twice a day now and it seems to be doing the trick. She is so unbelievably active that I didn't think I could do anymore with her. We move and shake all day long, but apparently she still had more in her! Wow! Thanks again for all your advice.
    sweetaddie

Answer by sweetaddie at 1:57 PM on May. 15, 2009