Birth control using Mirena IUD

Hello I'm Sherry, I'm a young wife and mommy to two boys and another one on the way. I'm only 23 and with our 3rd baby on the way I was looking for an easier and more dependable form of birth control, one that isn't so permenant as tying my tubes and one that I can't forget! I saw an add for Mirena IUD and I was wondering if I could get some facts from mommies that are currently using, or have used it. Like the stuff that Dr.'s can't tell you about, pros and cons if you will. I can't wait to hear from you, and thanks again, ~~Sherry~~

sgollrad

Asked by sgollrad at 5:45 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Health

• pros:
    you can have sex with out condoms
    it can lightly or completely stop your period and cramps
    you dont have to remember to take a pill everyday.
    it lasts for five years
    husband cannot feel the iud string while having sex

cons:
    i have a cyst on my right ovary caused by the iud. (but it should dissolved, most do)
    there is a little bit of discomfort when it is placed and a couple of days afterward but it is not unbearable.

if i think of more i'll let you know

2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I've had it for almost a year now, I have had a few issues like the fact that I and my husband can feel it during sex (not bad just a hard sesation for him and once in awhile a poking for me), and once I had really bad cramps that kept me in bed half a day. My periods are very light with little cramping before. Other than that I really like it, although I am getting more concered about having difficulty conciveing again when we are ready. Keep in mind it is different for everyone.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 5:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• to Tarabella: my OB/GYN told me that I would have no problem conceiving after I take it out. she said I should ovulate within a week of removing it. but she also suggested if I did want more kids then I should wait until I have my first period after removal to conceive. and if you go back to the doctor that implanted your iud then they can cut the string back. also take ibuprofen for your cramps it helps me a lot. and when you go back for your annual exam make sure they feel your ovaries and tubes to make sure you dont have cysts. they found my early because i had cramps that kept me from wanting to move my right leg it hurt my stomach so bad.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I love mine.
    I have had it for 14 months. I had a lot of spotting for the first four months. Now I have very light periods. All I need is pantyliner for a couple of days. Before I had very heavy periods that lasted for a full seven days. I had some acne for a few months but it cleared up.
    We have sex more than ever. There is no worrying about if we have a condom or if I missed a pill. In the first few months I could feel the strings sometimes, they were poking me. But I would just push them back up and around the cervix. My dh has never felt them during sex.
    I have not had any weight gain or increased headaches, which other people say they have.
    I personally would recommend it. I love mine so much. It is not for everyone, but if it works for you then it really works for you. KWIM?
    Besides you can always have it removed if it isn't right for you.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I love it!
    For me work like a charm, stop my period completely and I don't have to think about it!
    mymamirocks

Answer by mymamirocks at 7:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had my iud in for almost 2 years. Loved it at first but I was amongst the few that had everything go wrong with mine. I did have light bleeding which was nice, but then I also did bleed every 11/2 to 2 weeks so that kinda sucked. I thought that would eventually even out but it never did. After a year of having it in I got preggo on it. It was hard on us because at first we couldn't believe it then we were getting used to the fact and then I ended up having a miscarriage, so that was really sad for us too. I did love the fact that I didn't have to take the pill everyday and the hormone levels in the IUD are very different than the pill. I can't take the pill because of how it effects my body with the hormones. I ended up getting the IUD taken out about 2 months ago. Tried going back on the pill and had to stop the pill because of the hormones. But every womens body is different, some it works great for! :)
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 7:35 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i love not having a period or having a very light one and i love not having to worry about slip ups and its totally up to me when to plan my next child. but i hate having just that feeling that somethings up there and i think it makes my cervix kinda sensitive cuz during sex if he does it hard it kinda hurts and i spot afterward. i kinda get cramps too but i really like that i can plan my family and not have to worry about having a baby when we're not ready
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:58 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I have had the Mirena for about 11 months. I absolutly hated it at first. When they inserted it, my Dr. punctured my cervix. It was extremely painful to the point where I almost passed out. After thatI got an cyst on my ovary which like popped when I started to ovulate, which was sooo painful I coudn't even move. My husband could feel it everytime we had sex, the strings would poke him in the urethra, he hated it. Our sex life sucked. I bled alll the time. Then one day....no kidding...one day it all changed, I don't bleed at all, my husband can't feel it, and I don't have any cramping anymore. I thought it fell out, and my husband thought I had it removed to "get pregnant without telling him" hahah ya right! If i check for it, it's still there the stings just have moved a bit.
    Anonymous