Anyone know something safe and effective to help you sleep?

Latly I have not been able to sleep at nite because of stress and anxiety about the end of the school semester, and tonight I NEEED to Sleep!!! I just have too much on my mind, and can't wind down. I had to skip a test this morning because I was still awake at 4:30 in the morning!!!!! ughhh

LainysMommy

Asked by LainysMommy at 5:53 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Health

• Benadryl usually helps. It's real name is Diphenhydramine (sp?). It's found in more expensive OTC sleep aids, but there's no point in paying more for something you can get in a generic brand. Wal-Mart sells the Equate brand of Benadryl. It's an anti-histamine but like I said, it's also a sleep aid.

If you want the more natural stuff, Melatonin (sold anywhere there's vitamins) is a natural sleep aid.

I used Benadryl when I was pregnant to help me sleep. Totally safe in the recommended dose =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• melatonin
    it is all natural and it doesnt make you groggy in the morn
    you can get it at the grocerie store
    if you have a trader joes near you it is cheapest there
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Progressive relaxation. It makes you relax your body and your mind. Lie comfortably in bed. Breathe in slowly and out slowly, imagining as you breathe out that you are breathing out all tension. Continue breathing out tension as you relax each part of the body, starting with the soles of the feet, then the toes, then the top of the feet, then the whole foot, then the ankle, then the shins, then the calves, then the knees, then check that the whole lower leg and feet are relaxed, then in a similar fashion up the body including the scalp, the tongue, the cheeks, forehead, and so forth. Let yourself sink down in to the bed. Breathe, relax, think of yourself on a beach in the warm sand, the gentle breeze, the sound of the surf, the soft sand. Good luck. :)

Answer by Bmat at 6:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• if you take benadryl of any other drowsy medication that you do not need then you are not going to wake up feeling refreshed. you will actually wake up feeling more tired than you were when you went to sleep. try dong some stretches on the floor before you get in the bed. go to bed an hour earlier than you usually do and just lay in the bed reading a book you are interested in. it will make you very sleepy and you can get a good rest. you will wake up feeling very rested and have a clear head.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:14 PM on May. 6, 2009

• There is a product called "Sleep Aid" that doesn't have all that other stuff in it that you don't need. You can get it at Walmart.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 7:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• an after dinner walk has helped me, also no caffeine, wind down time before bed- reading a book or listening to soft music.
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 7:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Valerian Root is great. Sex works, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:50 PM on May. 7, 2009