Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how could i go to college?

my husband is navy, so the best thing for me would be online classes. BUT the thing is, how would i go on about paying for it? ive heard of grants, schlorships, but what exactly is that? i would love to go to college, but i 1, have no money, 2 dont have a clue on where to start. (i have 2 kids)
i want to do something with my life other than just being a stay at home mom. i cant and dont want to be only a SAHM..not forever. any helpful advice or expiernce to point me in the right direction would be grateful.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • in the fall military can sign their GI Bill over to family members, all or part of it, take a look into that if he isn't planning on using it or not using all of it, and that can help you pay. as for where to start, check to see if theres a community college in your area, most offer online courses but it also puts you near the school so you can go there to fill out your financial aid forms etc..the FAFSA (which is a federal aide application) has to be filled out by the begining of april for the fall semester but there may be other scholarships and grants you can apply for w/o filling that out. i would def go through your community college or a college near you that way you can go and sit down and talk to a counselor who can explain the process of applying for aid etc and help you with that. but then you can take the classes online, that is also good b/c it means your teachers are local if you have questions

    Answer by vabchmommy at 6:09 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Go to the College/University you are interested in attending. Go to the FInancial Aid Office, they can assist you in filling out a FAFSA. You can also google this and go to the site. It explains the type of financial aid and grants that are available to you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • You can fill your fafsa out on the web. Make sure you don't pay to fill it out though- it's free. Go to

    The fafsa will tell you whether or not you qualify for Pell Grants (student loans that don't have to be repaid) Subsidized loans (Government insured loans where the Government pays interest on it as long as you are in school at least part time.) and Unsubsidized loans (Government insured loans were you have to pay the interest on it while you are going to school, or the interest will be capitalized.)

    Once you've got that filled out, go to to search for scholarships. There are tons of scholarships, it's free, and they'll figure out which scholarships you qualify for and which ones you might be interested in. They'll also send you reminders before scholarships are due.

    As far as schools go, I'd start searching locally first. It's cheaper, and local schools have online courses now too. Good Luck!

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Well it depends on where you live but you need to contact the closest community college and take there assessment to see where you place, to know what classes you need to take for your general education. Then you need to get financial Aid paperwork and fill it out to get the pell grant and maybe a cal grant. Both of these grants are from the government and will cover your college expenses. Then you apply/register for class. Some good advice would be to meet with a college counselor to get help with the paper work because some of the paperwork can be done online which would be easier for you. if you have anymore questions email me and i will see if i can get the answer for you. I'm Morgan's sister and have almost completed my AA in social and behavioral science, and i did it by getting grants so good luck

    Answer by morgan453 at 11:12 AM on May. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.