Does it bother you when teacher's influence student's political views?

When I was in school, all of my teachers attempted to hide their political views. Even in my government class, the teacher wouldn't tell us whether he was republican or democrat because he wanted us to form our own opinions.

Now I work in the schools, and I was in a 6th grade classroom yesterday. There on the wall was a poster of Obama, and it read in big print "In Obama We Trust." I thought it was a little in appropriate. Sure, I'm a Christian conservative, but I still support the president. It seems like it's a teacher's job to inform, and present a fair and balanced view...

What do you think?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 6:23 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Whoops, sorry the title should read "Does it bother you when teachers influence students' political views?" I clearly need a nap!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes it does and it bothers me that my tax dollars are funding that.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 6:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes. My nephew had to go through that. The teacher was anti-logging and preached about the evils of logging in class. Guess what dad did?

I've seen many teachers who have pushed political agendas. It really bothers me.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Does she talk about obama? Does she defame any conservative presidents? Does she not allow anyone to voice their opinion of a president?

A poster isn't gonna change a childs mind on what they beleive in. They just follow their parents on that road.
    Anonymous

• Yes it bothers me...and I got it big time in the school system.

It took taking a U.S history course twice in college (no I didn't fail, I just switched schools), and learning the same events from one very liberal professor AND one very conservative professor.

It was when I saw that stark contrast in presentation of the same events that I realized how much all my teachers since grade school had put their own indoctrinating spin on things.

We, as parents have a very big job of teaching our kids to not just take what their teachers say at face value.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:45 PM on May. 6, 2009

• They have NO business influencing kids in anything other than what they're there for.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 7:19 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes and no. I don't really see the problem with having an Obama poster up, as he is our President. Even if you didn't vote for him, he is what he is and our children should be able to see/discuss our President.

However, I do also agree that while teaching children, you should do your best to remain neutral in the area of politics. There may be a little part of your beliefs in your teaching, b/c teachers love to educate and when they do so, it comes from their hearts as well as their minds. BUT I do think that personal views should be kept out of the classroom.....

Unless its used to inspire civil debate. I had some of the greatest debates in my school classrooms when discussing govt, history, etc. And I think school is much more valuable when you learn from experiance and real-life perceptions of those around you as opposed to answering multiple choice questions.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Just having a picture up doesn't bother me at all, from what I remember of school there was a picture of the current president in every classroom. That happens whether you vote for him or not, and I agree with it, as we should be respecting our president. If they start in on their own agenda that's a different story....and purposely NOT putting a pic of the president out would fall in that category as well.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Students should be taught to respect our president, where you voted for him or NOT...
    Having a poster of Obama is definitely appropriate.'
    When I was in school teachers would take both sides in order to stimulate our minds and give a balanced view.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Teachers are there to teach a subject, not their opinions. They aren't allowed to express their religious view and shouldn't be allowed to express their political ones in the class room.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:34 PM on May. 6, 2009