What normally needs to happen after a miscarriage??? Nothing??

I had a full blown miscarriage on Friday, I physically passed the baby and everything that day and starting saturday the bleeding had already started to slow down. Today I only have a tiny bit of brown discharge, but some people tell me you have to have a d&c, some say you have to have your blood tested and so on, but my doctors just told me to call if I have pain on continued with heavy bleeding. It has been 5 days now and I feel pretty much physically recovered.

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 6:30 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Health

• I had a miscarriage at 20 weeks and I did have to have a D&E but that was due to my baby being developed and too big to just (pass) but if your doctor told you that you passed the baby and everything then you do not have to have a D&C. all that does is "clean you out". yes if you continue with heavy bleeding or experience pain then you go back to see your doctor as he said. but otherwise you should be okay. but you should also wait until you have 2 more normal periods before you conceive again unless doc. told you something different.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:37 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had a miscarriage in 2004 so I believe I can speak from experience. Of course, listen to your doctor. What they told you was the same thing they told me. My situation was different though because I THOUGHT I had passed the baby when I hadn't. My doctor checked me out and said I was OK to go back to work (HIS mistake). That night at work, I started hemmoraging and fainted in the bathroom. Ambulances were called for me and everything and they took me to the hospital to have an emergency D&C. So, you only need a D&C if there are complication which sounds like there is not. I'm sorry for your loss. It totally sucks and as they say, there is nothing "right" to say to someone who is greiving but there's a whole long list of wrong things to say.
    kmingledorff

Answer by kmingledorff at 6:41 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I have had 2 miscarriages, both times no D&C were necessary as I passed the baby just fine. However both times blood work was done to be sure my HCG levels were going back to zero (they should always be at 0 unless you are pregnant).. Like kmingledorff said there's nothing right to say to someone, so I will just say I am sorry for your loss and if you want to talk to someone who's been through it, PM me.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:04 PM on May. 6, 2009

• D&C is only necessary if not everything has passed. Ask your doctor.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 10:35 PM on May. 6, 2009