cleaning my baby: shower versus bath?

i just answered a question and it got me thinkin...I should ask about it! my son, 1 yr old, has been refusing to sit still in the tub. he sits for a while, but gets interested in the knobs and doesnt want to sit still. I took a shower this morning and had him in the tub with me. he was great! he stood up the whole time, played with his toys, and I was able to wash him real good as well as myself (aah the joys of taking a shower lol). so what should I do? should I just give him a shower for now on? the baby tub I got came with a showerhead but the dang thing broke, otherwise it would have been perfect for this situation. any one else have this "problem?" I mean it's not exactly a problem. even though he refuses to sit I can still get him cleaned up, but taking the shower with him was so much easier.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 6:59 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I took a shower with my oldest until he was about 3.5. I found it to be sooo much easier than trying to fight with him about bath time. Now the younger boys bath together, but sometime if we are in a hurry one will get a shower.
    All of my boys loved the shower.
    I say if it is easier, why wouldn't you do it?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My son showered with me when he was younger. He loved it.
    Anonymous

• i would say no way on the shower!! just because he stood fine that time doesnt mean he always will.... my sister had her daughter in the shower with her and she sliped and banged her head on the bath and got a HUGE knot on her face.... its very dangerous
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• **we bought one of those attachable shower heads that hook right onto the faucet... maybe try getting one of those... my son loves it... we turn it on sometimes when hes in the tub and just let him play with it while he bathes
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• well I guess I'd also like to know if I go the shower route, would I have to take a shower with him every time? i wouldnt mind...if this means i get to shower too heck yes! lol but I mean as he gets older I might feel uncomfortable with him seeing me naked...but hell I feel silly writing the latter because we are family, it's just a body, there was a time before clothes and it's society's taboo...not my own lol I'm also writing my thoughts "outloud"...ok I'll stop
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Sure, if he likes it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I never used the baby tubs. And, my husband used to take our eldest son into the shower with him as I was too scared. Hey, if it's working for you, do it!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• When it gets weird for either of you then you quit. You don't always have to take a shower with him. I don't shower my kids everyday. They are just fine.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

• We used to shower with dd and ds all the time. Even when they were babies we would hold them in the shower. They both love baths now. Another option is to get one of those handheld shower heads and have him sit in the tub. If your going to let him take a shower though I definately would get some of those non-skid stickies or a mat (if you don't already have one).
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:45 PM on May. 6, 2009

• All of my kids, except the baby, take showers. It's faster and the kids get cleaner. We have a really long bath mat in the tub and my kids have never slipped on it. JuLiAnSmOmMy317 said that her neice fell, well my kids have slipped while taking a bath, when they were sitting, and alot of kids don't like to sit down when they take a bath. I know I had to get on my kids all the time about staying seated. Of a shower is easier, go for it.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:58 PM on May. 6, 2009