formula feeding mommies please help!

How much & how often does/did your 2 week old eat? my daughter was eating 2 oz. every 4 hrs. but that no longer seems to fill her. Her Dr. said to increase how often she ate instead of how much formula at each feeding. Why would that be? I think 3-4 oz. every 4 hrs. seems like a reasonable amount.

Mrs.Hopeful

Asked by Mrs.Hopeful at 7:02 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hey! I have counseled bottle feeding mommies. It's because you don't want to stretch the tummy. Eating less every 3 hours is healthier than more every 4 for a tiny baby.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Mine all ate different amounts, I just upped the amount until they were full. One was even taking 6 oz's every 2-3 hours at that age. The doctor only said to watch for spit up, that would tell me it was to much.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

• At this age my son was eating 4oz ever 3-4 hours I just fed him til he was full why deprive them of food.. Or adjust how they want to eat just feed them and when they are done they will let you know.. Just know if she is spitting up a lot after you feed her you need to cut back and thats about it
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 7:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Just what apex mommy said...less more often is better than more less often...no stretching of tummies, it can lead to overeatting latter in life..heres a good FFing chart
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i was putting Rice in my daughters milk at this age and it filled her up... try it and see
    Anonymous

• I would increase the amount and see how baby does. I think 4 oz. every 4 hours is completely normal for a 2 week old. Give it a try. If baby spits up a ton before the next feeding, you'll know it may be a little too much.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• DON'T PUT RICE CEREAL IN YOUR BABY'S BOTTLE! that will just mess your baby's tummy up. at 2 weeks it's normal for them to be eating about 4oz every 3-4 hours, unless you want to feed them 2oz every 2 hours...
    Anonymous

• you know what, i dont care what people say, i fed my daughter how much she wanted when she wanted it, you cant starve your baby!!! you dont feed them on your time!! they know when they are hungry the doctors do not, so you do what you think is best your the mommy, not the doctor
    x_tinky_x

Answer by x_tinky_x at 3:29 AM on May. 8, 2009