Trying to eat healthy for my baby but I need help.

I'm trying to eat healthy for my baby but I'm having a hard time. I keep buying all this fresh fruit and veggies but it seems like non of the fruit is in season. I get it home, it doesn't look great to begin with and then after 1-2 days it's bad.

The other day I bought bannas, strawberries, apples, grapes and mangos. Only the mangos and apples made it past day 2.

Am I not buying the right stuff? What's in season right now? My doctor suggested dried fruit but it all has so much sugar in it! What fruits should I try?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Grapefruit. I bought some at Costco a few weeks ago. I just ate one a couple minutes ago - still yummy and juicy. :-)

My husband bought strawberries last week. They went bad within a few days.
    Anonymous

• strawberries, citrus fruits, kiwi...i can't think of what else. just make sure you really check the fruit, if one strawberry looks funny the rest will go bad quickly. so when you get them home check again and throw out any that are already bad. i've found all year that bananas aren't lasting all that long at all. grapes are the same as strawberries if one is bad the rest will be quickly. so you want to check those well too. you can try can fruits in light syrup that way its not as much sugar.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• For my lunches (it can be a hassle) I would stop by the store everyday and get enough fruit and veggies to last me that day maybe 2 days on my way to work. It was winter time so fruits didnt look so hot if they were not eaten right away.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• strawberrys go bad fast when yo leave them out...but dont taste as good when you put them in the fridge..bananas stay good for awhile but it all really depends on the quality of the fruit. Pick bananas that are still a little green they last longer. And check for bruises cuz bruised fruit goes bad faster. Apples also stay good for awhile.
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 7:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• anything that you have to peel is a good choice for some reason they seem to last longer (Oranges..bananas and so on)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 7:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• try going to ur local farmers market- they have locally grown produce so its fresher and will last longer in ur house- also they usually only have wuts in season so everything is sure to taste great- if u dont happen to have a farmers market near by then maybe try buying frozen fruit and making smoothies with them and some lowfat yogurt to get in those nutrients and frozen veggies like broccoli to steam for a healthy side- pm me if u want some more ideas and recipes
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Apples and oranges tend to keep really well in the refrigerator. I also have frozen berries and use them on oatmeal in the morning. Those are really good.
    pregginewbie

Answer by pregginewbie at 8:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• maybe try frozen fruits and vegatables, and drink 100% juice only, if you're going to drink juice. spinach leaves are very good for you, you can get them in a bag like you can lettuce for salads. i mix spinach leaves and romaine hearts with carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, green olives and ceasar dressing. spinach has folic acid too and that's very good for you and baby. Gala apples are really yummy cut up with lemon juice (the real kind straight from a lemon) sqeezed on them, the lemon juice keeps the apples from turning brown.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Maybe it's just the store your buying it from. I noticed that my fruit was going bad fast when I bought from one market, and when I switched the fruit lasted longer. You may pay a little bit more $ but I believe its well worth it. Also, I put my strawberries in a ziploc bag as soon as I get home, & I dont put my apples & bananas in the fridge. Goodluck!
    gina004

Answer by gina004 at 8:44 PM on May. 6, 2009