Substituting Flinstones vitamins for my prenatal..

I CANNOT take my prenatal without getting sick. No matter when or how I take it. I read on here that some of you substituted two Flinstones for a prenatal. Is this something that I should ask my doctor about first or is it ok to do now since I'm all ready not getting any extra vitamins?

ABryn1011

Asked by ABryn1011 at 7:24 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is something in Flintstones that isn't good (cancer causing) but I forget the ingredient. I would ask the doctor if it's okay.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• id talk to my dr about it...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 7:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• For sure ask your doctor before taking vitamins other than what she or he prescribed. Prenatal vitamins contain ingredients for the health of the baby in addition to what the mom needs. Probably a good amount of folic acid, for example, which a child's vitamin wouldn't have. Tell the doctor of your problem and see if there is another prenatal vitamin that you can take. Prenatal vitamins are not just bigger doses of children's vitamins.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Have you tried taking it right before you go to bed. I took mine right before I went to bed and slept through the sickness part of it. I discovered this after I got sick after taking them and taking them right before bed helped out tons.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:31 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Ihave two friends that did this.. took two Flintstones a day. Did you try chewable prenatal vitamins? Thats what I had to use.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 7:31 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I took it right before bed last night and woke up throwing up.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 7:31 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i would definitely ask a doctor on that one
    KatieFlower

Answer by KatieFlower at 7:37 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I took flintstones instead of prenatals. My doc okayed it. That said, I forgot to take them most of the time lol
    Take 2 flintstone vitamins instead of 1 to match the amount in prenatals. They never made me sick.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:47 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree about the extra folic acid, other than that if they are all you can choke down then do it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I took children one source gummys instead of prenatals basically same as flinstones u just take two..i could not stomach it either I know many many many women who did this!....some vitamin is better than no vitamin! but your doc is always there to ask :)
    mom2twopreemies

Answer by mom2twopreemies at 7:55 PM on May. 6, 2009