Real contractions or Braxton-Hicks???

I'm not sure if these are contractions or just pains. I have a high pain tolerance but I have had these pains in more of the lower abdomin area and they get more intense then I'm okay for awhile then it goes again. Is it just braxton-hicks or real contractions? I dont know how to tell cause with my first one I had neither till I was induced. Can someone please help????

Kaylee22006

Asked by Kaylee22006 at 7:43 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you will know if its labor..
    Anonymous

• i asked my doc the same thing b/c i was induced w/my first so i didn't have anything til then either. they said if you have more than 6 an hour than they are probably the real thing and to go into labor and delivery
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:45 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If they are consistent, it can be real labor. I had braxton-hicks but when real labor started, it was every 10 minutes for about an hour.
    cleo1969

Answer by cleo1969 at 7:46 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I just talked to the dr about this yesterday. He told me that if you are having contractions in the lower part of your stomach, and/or around to the back and they are consistant, it is most likely labor. Hope this helps. good luck, and congrats!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I've read that another way to tell if they're real or BH is if you change position, like lie on your left side, and the pain goes away then they are probably just BH....
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 9:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• When they become consistent (like every so many minutes for an hour) and it becomes hard to talk through them they are probably the real deal.
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 11:59 PM on May. 6, 2009