How to wean a toddler from breastfeeding!

Just looking for a little advice- my daughter is almost 21 months old and still nursing at night. I've weaned her completely during the day but getting her to sleep through the night without it has proven to be much more difficult. Any advice, other then "just take it away"? That's not very helpful advice. Thanks!

CandA_Mama

Asked by CandA_Mama at 7:45 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I couldn't believe that first response! I say bravo on still nursing! I was tandem nursing my son and daughter.. And I weaned him at 2 years. (It was getting to be too much with two of them!) I intend to let my daughter (our fourth and last child) self-wean. With my boy, I just stopped offering. I found other ways to put him to sleep.. I'd walk with him or rock him instead of laying with him. (We're cosleepers.) After about a week, he only asked when he saw his sister nursing and I'd tell him it was Molly's turn.. And about a week after that, he pretty much stopped asking. Now he'll pat them and say "Molly booby. I big boy!" I never told him no.. I just tried to distract him when I could.. and if he was adamant, I nursed him.

Best of luck with this! You'll miss it when you're finished. I always feel a little bit sad when he lays next to me, nursing his sister.. He doesn't feel like a baby anymore. lol
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 11:04 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Your child is almost 2 and you are still breastfeeding? To me once a child is able to eat solids they shouldn't breast after at the most 1 year of age. I find rather peculiar to breastfeed a child that old. Is she still asking for it? My daughter was almost potty trained at that age. Im sorry I can go on and on about how this makes me feel. Im not knocking you as a mother but do mothers really still breastfeed their child at this age still?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My daughter just quit on her own at 15 months. I personally don't think her breastfeeding at this age is an issue, but if it bothers you, then stop. Pump and give it to her in a cup? Give her a children's supplement drink?

Moogie1005

Answer by Moogie1005 at 8:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Those are good ideas. Thanks :)
    CandA_Mama

Answer by CandA_Mama at 8:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Sorry... can't help much... lol my son is almost 29 mo's and still nurses at night... he just won't give it up and I don't want to traumatize him, they say that kids ween them selves, my daughter did at 6 mo's. I am 9 and a half mo's pregnant and I don't plan to force weening no matter my families objections.... Hang in there ignore the people who are telling you that your child is to old, keep in mind that the international weening age is 5 :-) GOOD LUCK!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 9:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Wow, I cant believe that first response either. About nursing though, It's completely normal to nurse your 21 month old. Unless her nursing at night is REALLY causing you problems, I'd let it be. She'll eventually wean herself.

Good luck!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:06 AM on May. 7, 2009

• The World Health Organization (less influence by the formula lobby than US doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. You can replace the nightime feeding with a book, snuggles and a sippy cup of water, and tell her no more milk after brushing her teeth. Let her pick out a "fun" sippy, like a Sigg or other stainless steel.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on May. 7, 2009

• lol. 9 and a half mos pregnant and still nursing your almost 29 month old? wildkitten82: First of all, how can you be 9 and a "half" months pregnant? And second, how do you plan to nurse the new baby and your toddler at the same time? Do you produce that much milk??

I personally believe the time to wean is 24 mos. (well, that's what I did anyway) After that, as long as they're getting enough solid food to sustain the nutrients they need, they should be fine. Unless their solid food diet is lacking the necessary nutrients, there's no need to continue on. Especially if you're expecting another child. Personally I think it's strange. But that's just my opinion. Eventually they grow up and eat real food.
    Anonymous