When do I tell my boss Im pregnant??

Okay so I just started a new job about five days ago, and I just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant. When should I tell my boss? I am still in my 90 day probation. Should I wait until thats over? Or is that to long??

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 8:09 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Wait until you make it to your second trimester which is around 13 to 14 weeks. That way your in the safe zone or a safer zone for carrying the baby full term. Then tell them once your ready. They can not fire you for it but they can hold your job until after the baby is born so I would say wait until your in the door and they see its not affecting your job any.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i would wait til you pass the 12 week point b/c thats the saftey point w/miscarriages. if you start to show signs before than though, it might be better to approach before that point and let them know (if you are over tired, throwing up alot etc..) i don't think i'd wait the 90 days, they may take it as you trying to con them and not tell them something, and they can't fire you or not let you keep the job b/c you are pregnant. they may be more willing to work with you if you tell them now compared to later
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:12 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree with the other posters ... wait until you're in the 2nd trimester. However, you will stll be under your probationary period. I honestly would tell them after you have your 90 days in ... I know it's kind of sneaky, but you don't want them to find an excuse to let you go if they don't want to pay for maternity leave, ya know? I know they *cant* do that, but they could find a BS excuse.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:16 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I was told by my brother that they cant fire me, but when i take my maternity leave they can replace me then. He said something about having to be working there for a full year for FMLA to kick in. Does anyone know if thats true?
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 8:18 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If youre like I was when I was pregnant and working I was having to go throw up all the time so I had to tell my boss so she would know why I kept taking breaks. I guess it depends on where you work and how your breaks are.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Don't tell him anything. It's none of his business unless he tries to make you do labor work that can be harmful to your pregnancy. You do NOT have to report pregnancy to an employer. It's not work related information and he can't fire you for it either. He'll figure it out soon enough but until then don't say anything.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Here's the source...
    http://www.employer-employee.com/fmla.html

It states that you have to have worked for the employer for 12 months, that you have 1250 hours in and that the company employs 50 or more employees to be eligible. It also says that when you return to work they have to give you a "comparable position and pay", so they don't have to hold your exact position for you.
    There's more on that link, but hope this helps you understand the law.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:05 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Do not tell your boss until you can no longer hide your pregnancy. Be sure that you have your plan in place for transitioning your work and coverage for your maternity leave. It is important to anticipate every question and be ready with answers.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:07 PM on May. 7, 2009