Why is my 3 year old son such a picky eater?

I have a 3 year old son and he is the most picky eater i have ever seen, it really starts to bother me because somedays we dont hardly ever eat anythng and i worry about him not getting the nutrution tha t he needs to be getting. It really gets to me i hope that the is just a phase that he may be going through the thing is is that hes always been this way, he has to have a napkin when he eats he can't stand to be messy or get anything on his hands, he will only eat certain foods for breakfast i can only get him to eat cream of wheat, oatmeal, or pancakes, nothing eles, i offer him eggs every now and then but he won't even try them, same goes with lunch and diner only certain foods. it drives me crazy! he will eat junk food all day long but i dont want to give him that all the time, I've tried so many different things i just dont know what eles there is to try.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• make one thing for dinner and either he eats it or goes hungry. Your not a personal chef for him and he will not let himself starve. He will eat when he is good and hungry. That is just my personal opinion, 3 or not he needs to eat what you make and not have an option unless he eats all his food and gets a special treat after.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I agree. He will get hungry and then he'll have to eat. Don't give in to this behavior it will only make the problem worse, and don't give him junk food just so he won't be hungry, I wouldn't even buy it then he will have to eat something else.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't give him any junk food at all if he's not eating healthy food. Have you tried giving him hard boiled eggs? He may not eat the yolk but the whites are where all the protein is so that'll be good enough. I agree with making one meal, if he eats AWESOME, if he doesn't then he goes hungry. That is what we do with our kids, dd3 and ss5, if they don't eat it then they don't eat (we don't make things like stuffed mushrooms or scallops because we know for a fact that they don't like them, our rule is you have to try at least one bite before you refuse it.). If they don't finish their food they DEFINATELY don't get anything else to eat for the rest of the night. You need to teach him now that you're not a short order cook, you make one meal and everyone eats it or not at all. Good luck! Also, if you're worried about his nutrition try multi vitamins or pediasure.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 8:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• See my boyfriend is a truckdriver and i also have a 3 month old, my boyfriend is never home for diner so we don't have "family diners" i wish we did, anyways do I make a full meal for just the two of us or can you give me some ideas for meals for us? what are other things i can try making that he will maybe like?
    Amanda2430

Answer by Amanda2430 at 8:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• my son is 3 almost 4 and he has always been a picky eater. he is slowly starting to eat other things. i dont let my kids starve sorry i understand what everyone is saying, but i cant do that. we dont have "family dinners" either my husband works at nights. it should be a phase, he should come around to other things too. right now im trying to get my son to eat any kind of veggie but he almost pukes everytime he takes a bite of one. i say just make him what he likes and what u know he will eat and give him vitamins, i use the good ol' flintstones vitimins.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 8:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• All children go through picky phases. How you handle them will determine whether or not you are raising a picky eater. At meals, offer fruits or vegetable before anything else. 3 year old love frozen peas and frozen blueberries. Avocados have lots of good fats for growing brains. Cooked beans are loaded with fiber, iron and calcium. You can make smoothies with frozen blueberries, frozen banana, yogurt, kale or other greens, and soy milk or apple juice. Get a can of pumpkin and mix with with the hot cerea. Make sure that the pancakes are whole grain and add chopped apple or blueberries. Make baked sweet potato or acorn squash "fries" Kids love to dip; give him hummus with carrots, zucchini, jicama, etc.
    Just keep offering healthy foods, don't offer junk, and the phase will pass. Be sure that you are setting a great example: drink water, eat whole grains, eat fruits and veggies.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My son is a super picky eater too. Sometimes we go through the same thing....he eats great for a day, then he doesn't eat a thing. I've tried to reduce the number of junk food type items in the house and give him the option of fruits. So far so good.

I've picked up the Gerber Toddler Meals at Walmart or the supermarket. Those work occassionally, most offen if I get the dinosaur pasta ones.

If it's any help, our doctor constantly reasurres us that this is normal and as long as we look at the overall intake for the week we're alright. :) Good luck!
    momwithcurls

Answer by momwithcurls at 9:49 PM on May. 10, 2009