What are some things that I need and things that I can do without for a new baby?

What are some things that you have bought for your new baby (baby stuff/nursery items) that you ended up not needing?

What are some things that you didn't buy that you wish you had?

Like I want a glider/rocker for the nursery but is it really needed? There are a couple things that I want but don't want to spend a lot of $$ to find out that I'm just not going to use it.

Thanks!

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 8:19 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need a swing OR a bouncerOr a gliderOr a rocker not all of them..a stroller...a carseat...one of those things with a hanger on it you hold the diapers in...A place for the baby to sleep (which can be in bed with hyou)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

• The bassinet was a waste of money as we used the one in the playpen. We bought tons of beanies that never got used. Other than that and blankets out the butt we used everything and needed everything. The bassinet was the biggest waste of money and we gave it to a neighbor for a gift as we knew we would never use it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I've had a glider rocker for all 3 of my children and love it. Couldn't be without it! I found that I didn't need a changing table for my littlest one. Because her playpen had a changing table on top of it.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• hooded towels...a bath seat or a tub...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I wanted a rocker, but I didnt get one. I dont miss not having one. A changing table that has shelves (for storing extra diapers, wipes, and onesies) is really great to have. A bouncer seat (expecially one that vibrates) is awesome, as well as a playmat. I recieved a lot of bottles that I dont use (I am ebf, and rarely pump).
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 8:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• changing table not neccesary you can change a baby anywhere..and most diaper bags come with a changing pad
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• a boppy pillo for tummy time
    hug4akiss

• I think it may be trial and error for you- I did not use one of those diaper hanger things ever, and I did use the bassinet up until about 6 months- but it was a gift :) He LOVED it- it was nice to use in the livingroom since the playpen seemed too big. So it really depends on you and baby. The ONE thing we STILL use is his Boppy.
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 8:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I love my hanger diaper thing...havent had a baby yet but I already cant live without it
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Funny, we never even opened the diaper hanger/stacker thing we received as a gift... We didn't end up with too much we didn't need because we picked up this great book called "Baby Bargains" that gives you the run-down on the products out there... which ones are/aren't necessary, which brands are more dependable, etc. It was a huge help. We did register at Babies R Us but we only had 2 pages of items (only a few of which we ended up having to buy for ourselves), and we weren't lacking in much. I liked the Diaper Champ for a diaper pail (unlike the Genie which gets awful reviews, you can use a regular trashbag in it, but it really does work)... We didn't use as many bottles and nipples as we bought ( I breastfed, but knew I was eventually going to be pumping during part-time work)... Definitely don't get a wipes warmer, that's a joke... One thing we couldn't live without: portable changing pad (folds up and holds a diaper).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:47 PM on May. 6, 2009