Pedophiles...Do you know what they are being charged with?

If a person is caught sexually abusing a child, How do they determine their sentance? Also, is it different by state? How do I find out? I am doing a final about this for school.

san-1

Asked by san-1 at 8:28 PM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd check the registry in your area.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Google. You can google anything now a days... if you google somebody's name in, you can find out what the court charged them with.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 8:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Laws do vary by state but I also think there are federal laws based on the age of the victim. I would start by searching the laws for sex offenders in your state and branch out from there. Like posted before you can google anything.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 8:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• States have their own sentencing rules and it depends on what they got caught doing. They get charged based off what they were doing, IE...sodomy, pornography, engross sexual contact with a minor under a certain age, molestation with a foreign object. Depending on the charge, the number of charges and the pervious record of the offender then they come up with a sentence for them.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:34 PM on May. 6, 2009

• check your state statutes

Answer by admckenzie at 9:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Check state statues. I think it is different from state to state and crime to crime. It depends on the record of the person being charged too. Good luck on your assignment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I work in law enforcement & i agree that you should check your states sex offender registry. I know in Michigan 1st & 3rd degree involve penetration. The site should also state per charge if the victim was a youth or adult. You really have to be careful not to stereo-type....I am finding more and more that alot of parents are having their children lie about abuse just to "get back" at someone. It makes it so difficult to know where the true threats are. I know it sounds bad, but try to do your homework when you are investigating. Good luck & be safe!
    H9Sar

Answer by H9Sar at 12:47 AM on May. 7, 2009