• In the Spotlight:

My daughter's 9 today!!! Any advice for this new chapter?

What can I expect to change? What are the perks of having a tween?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 8:38 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Happy Birthday to her!!! You can expect a new attitude, crabbiness, moodswings, lots of growth spurts, she may gain a little weight around her tummy. Then there are all the physical changes too. I have a son but I also have a niece that is 11 yrs old and she used to be such a sweet little girl and now, she is a walking attitude. We can't wait until she finally gets her period so the moodswings stop!! or lessen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If you have not already, you will very soon see mood swings. Be sure that your daughter is well prepared for the changes ahead: pubic hair, breasts, increased vaginal discharge, hormonal mood swings, etc. Be a really good listener; mean girl drama will really kick in at school now.
    The perk of having a tween is that you are another year closer to college and having her out of the house!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:59 AM on May. 7, 2009

• A good opportunity to talk to your daughter about growing up. Go to lunch or shop together and tell her you're excited that she is getting older.  Tell her you want to share some books with her to help her understand about her body and what's going to occur http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=9&page=2    Also let her know you are excited that she is getting older.  It will be fun to do more mom/daugther stuff together that you couldn't do when she was young.  Tell her you can see what a beautiful, smart girl she has become and you are so lucky to have her!

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:59 AM on May. 8, 2009

• ^ I agree. When I was 8 or 9, "What's Happening to Me?" was my favorite book, because it answered all of my questions about what was going to happen to my body. My DD is 9 now. Talking back is our biggest challenge for now, but we're gently working through it.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 1:37 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I would add, if I could go back to that time (mine is 13 now), to get her talking!! I increasingly realize how much we lecture them, but we don't really know what they think - and it's more likely they will follow their ideas rather than our lectures!

As often as possible, I'd try to talk about life: What does she want to do later? Does she like having lots of friends or a few good ones? Who are her friends, and what does she like/not like about them? How will she deal with nasty girls/boys at school? What does she think about boys, love, relationships, etc.? Are there activites she'd like to try, or places she'd like to go?

Essentially, I say this cause from one day to the next I learned my 12 yr old was 'going out with' a bad boy 15 years old - and we learned 3 months after it started. It finally ended, but fortunately, It did give me the chance to talk about alot of things I should have addressed before
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Having a 9 year old is awesome! It's the age where they start to be intrested in doing the things you are and when you're suddenly free and able to do things like travel and hang out and go out together because they don't need to be constently hovered over.

Good luck and enjoy.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• When you find out Please give me a heads up my daughter will be nine in 4 weeks.
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 6:02 PM on May. 19, 2009