When I go on an interview should I tell them I have a baby?

I'm only 18 so I was thinking maybe if i tell the employer that I have a baby they would think I'm irresponsible. They can't say no because of the baby but they can say no because "I'm not responsible". Right?

I'm not like that, my BC failed me and I decided to man up and take care of my baby, which I would consider being responsible.

I don't know though, should I tell or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I never bring up family in an interview. It can go either way - they think, wow you really need the money, so you'll never call in, or they'll think great she has a kid and will always be calling in sick to take care of it.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 8:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Depending on what kind of job it is but I probaly wouldnt tell unless they ask.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i wouldn't bring it up at first. wait and see how the interview goes, and a lot of companies do second interviews nowadays so you'd go back in for a second one. however if they ask a question about responsibility or something along those lines, you could mention it that way. for example a common interview question in customer service type jobs is something along the lines of, what have you done when you felt that you couldn't handle everything that was being thrown at you, either in your personal life or work life? (this will tell them if you are the type to ask for help when you really need it or keep going even though you can't handle it and possibly cause issues with the customer that looses attention b/c of this) you can then bring it up in a way that makes it a positive thing, be it asking for help from family or friends or however you feel you should answer. this way you have put the fact that you are a mom out there CON
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• What's a BC? and yes you should tell them you have a child, why would you want to hide the fact that you have a child? If you don't get the job cause you have a child then why would you want that job anyway?? I really think you need to read your question again. I would never want to work somewhere that would have a problem if i had a child. My child is my WHOLE WORLD. SHE come FIRST... Your 18 what you do on your own time is your business. Im a hiring manager and if i hired someone and then found out they had a child and failed to tell me i would wonder what else they lied to me about. Think about that..
    Anonymous

• but not in a way that makes it seem like that is your main focus in life (even though it is, but you don't want to throw it out of nowhere and have them think that you are going to be calling in sick every week b/c you don't want to leave baby w/sitter or baby is sick or whatever)
    but if its a very family friendly company than you can bring it up w/o fear of them thinking that
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• You don't have to bring up having kids at all unless they specifically ask you. If they ask then yes tell them you have a child. If they don't hire you, their loss!
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 8:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Don't bring that up. They cannot make a decision based on your family situation. They can ask, and they might, but I would not tell them that. My policy is, the less they know, the better.
    Anonymous

• Employers can not ask about family. End of story. No questions, no concern.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Nope, it's not work related information so it's none of their business.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• You are not required to tell them anything about your family...and they are not supposed to ask! Even if your baby is your world....don't bring it up...I agree w/ the other posters...it could go either way...and they shouldn't be basing your life on your job....
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 9:34 PM on May. 6, 2009