Is getting a detention for half an hour afterschool an appropriate punishment for forgetting a reading book in a locker for a 14yr old boy?

lilmomma4

Asked by lilmomma4 at 9:10 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• No. That is to strict. I should know. They should give him maybe a half hour detention. Unless he deserved the detention. lol
    Aumbrey

Answer by Aumbrey at 10:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• no

Answer by admckenzie at 9:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I would say that it depends on if this was a reoccuring thing or not. I find it hard to believe that he'd get a detention if it was a simple mistake that has just happened once. But if he has a habit of it, then I would say, yes it is.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:14 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm the OP..I didn't think so either. I talked with the administratior of his grade and she said if he don't serve it he could be suspended. He's an honor student, it's not a habit of his to forget things and he's not a behavior problem. He also takes the school bus which means I would have to pick him up from school.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 9:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• punishment for children and teens in school are starting to scare me. My seven year old had to stay in from recess for forgetting her library book at home.

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I thought he was joking until he gave me the yellow detention slip.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 9:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• lilmomma4, then yes, i think it's a ridiculous that they would give him a detention for this. I would say the teacher must have had a bad day, which isn't an excuse.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

• for a first offence no...but a reoccuring thing yes. Some teachers suck im 17 and stopped going to school because my P.E. Teacher was being a prick making me run the mile and all kinda of crazy shit when I was 4 months pregnant I kept telling him I CANT it hurts and when I didnt make the mile he emberassed me in front of the whole class and its not like I could say STFU im pregnant because I was keeping it a secret from my peers at the time...but he knew
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Leave it. It's not like the teacher smacked him upside the head. They're trying to teach him responsibility and accountability. Support his teachers. Sounds like something that could have happened to me in HS, and I might have complained- but not much. I knew I just had to respect my teachers and learn to do right by them.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If it is a fist offense, it is too much. If it is recurring, then yes he should be serving detention. At my sons middle school, they get 3 or 4 chances and warnings before detention. He just needs to serve the detention and get over it. I got detention for chewing gum, not warnings just afterschool detention. It happens, rules are there for a reason and when kids don't follow them they need to be held accountable. A lot of what happens to kids in ms and hs, will help them later in life. It just doesn't seem like it at the time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on May. 6, 2009