Why am i so hard on myself when it comes to my kids?

I'm not why i am so hard on myself, but i feel so guily for everything stupid things like not lettting my son go and play because i have things to do in the house (hes only three so he has to be watched close) or i normal read my son a book before he goes to bed, but when i don't i feel so bad in the back of my head is this normal? i just feel like a horrible mom some times and i want to feel better about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on May. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's okay to say no to your kids.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:31 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It's normal. I'm bad at playing. I'll read books but playing legos kills me. Set aside time for your child and really enjoy that time that you're sharing, putting your whole heart into it. The whole day cannot be about him but when he's in school, it'll get better for you and for him as he'll interact with others his age and play all darn day!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:38 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i know what you mean... sometimes i just wanna say no to everything! i do feel guilty when i say no just because i feel like i want a little break though because i know that all my boy wants is to be with me. to make up for it, i'll be his beck and call mom for any fun activity later in the day or the next day and then i'm over it! i think we are all really hard on ourselves...
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 9:42 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It is ok to tell a child no, it won't hurt them, it won't turn them into a bad person. As a matter of fact, saying no is a good thing. They need to hear it, they need to learn how to entertain themselves. They will hear no a lot in life and need to get used to it. Don't be so hard on yourself when you have to say no, it is ok. Set aside some special time each day for him and do what you have to the rest of the day. He will be ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I feel like that all of the time I feel like my oldest who is five even tries to make me guilty. Don't worry it's not just you. Many nights I go to bed hating myself for doing this or not doing that. Then I have to slap myself back to reality.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It is very normal. We are supposed to be supermoms. We can do everything with out help. How is this, I haven't had a day off since my son was born 3 years ago. I have been with my kids since then. I have a bridal shower to go to Saturday, but no one to watch my kids. I feel guilty leaving them with someone and I feel guilty asking anyone to watch them for 2 hours.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:39 AM on May. 7, 2009

• thats a normal feeling. it means your humble and don't suffer from perfect mom-syndrome. you know you can't do everything sometimes. it'll ease up when they get older. i do the same too
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:17 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Give yourself a break. Routines and traditions are great, but sometimes you have other things to do or you just don't feel well. You will make it up to him later.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:59 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Mother and guilt are synonyms.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:50 AM on May. 7, 2009