CONSTIPATION?

MY MONTH OLD DAUGHTER SEEMS TO HAVE TROUBLE POOPING; I DO THE BICYCLE MOTIONS WITH HER AND PUT SOME PRESSURE ON HER STOMACH AND STUFF, WHICH SEEMS TO WORK SOMETIMES BUT ARE THERE ANY OTHER TECHNIQUES I CAN USE OR OTHER THINGS I CAN DO TO HELP HER POOP. I FEEL SO BAD LIKE SHE IS IN PAIN.
ANY ADVICE??...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed her more. More liquid helps. Don't give her ANYTHING - no water, juice, nothing.
    Try putting her tummy-down over your leg and rubbing her back.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 9:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• they have infant laxatives but id talk to doc. before giving them to baby just in case...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:57 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Are her poops hard or soft? babies can go a few days without pooping especially if they're breastfed, if she's on formula you might need to try a different one. Sometimes babies will seem to strain alot when they're pooping, but they're just figuring things out. If her poops are soft you got nothing to worry about, if they're hard you should probably talk to your doctor
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:00 PM on May. 6, 2009

• A pediatrician told me to use a tablespoon of brown sugar in 4 oz of formula/breastmilk. I did, and it works wonders. I've done it plenty of times with my daughter and she always goes in about 12 hours. Don't do it everyday though.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 10:18 PM on May. 6, 2009

• you can also use karo corn syrup in water.......
    Anonymous

• At that age they are still learning to poop and it can seem like they are pushing, grunting, even crying to try to get it out. But it's not REALLY constipation unless the poops come out hard.
    If she is breastfed she can go 1-2 weeks without pooping and it's normal. If she is formula fed 2-3 days if fine.
    If she seems uncomfortable... you could try some rectal stimulation... using a lubed up pinky works best (but a thermometer sometimes works too) Lube it up and and insert gently into her rectum... watch out, it will get messy!!
    If she hasn't gone in several days (1 week BF or 3 FF) and you are concerned try 1/2 oz of pear juice to see if it gets things going.
    For a baby... never use laxitives or enema's. A glycerin suppository is fine to use if you need it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• when I started my son on cereal, he had the same problem. The doctor told me to lubricate a qtip with patroleum jelly and slide the tip in his rectum and press down. So now, if he gets that way, that is what I do and it works great. It was kind of weird at first, but it doesnt hurt him or anything. It just gives him the desire to push it out. And it is alot better than using laxatives. But if you don't want to do it that way, you can cut an infants supository in 1/4 and use that. It just doesnt work as well for me.
    CosmicQueen

Answer by CosmicQueen at 11:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• oh! also, when she gets a little older, you can feed her 4 oz. of pear juice a day. you buy it in the baby section in the baby juices. they are in little bottles and are already measured out in 4 oz. but I tryed kayro syrup, and prune juice and it didnt work as well.
    CosmicQueen

Answer by CosmicQueen at 11:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Breast or formula? How long since she's gone? What is the poop like? It's very possible that you need to do nothing.

Additionally, shes way too young for anything other then breast or formula. And Karo syrup is a risk for botulism, just like honey is. It actually states on the Karo website NOT to give it to babies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:04 AM on May. 7, 2009