Do you expect to pay for bread & water at your next visit to a restaurant?

Recession-hit restaurants are helping themselves to your wallet by serving you an extra side of super sneaky charges.

* A $1-per-person charge for water at West Village restaurant Bobo -- noted on the menu but not mentioned by waiters. The drink is filtered tap water.
Staff said the money funds the filtration.

* $3 for bread and another $2 for butter at Company, in Chelsea.

* A 10 percent charge for takeout food at the sushi hot spot Nobu Next Door in TriBeCa.

"It's for the packaging materials, the costs of handling the volume of calls," said managing partner Richie Notar.

* Fifth Avenue steak joint Morton's was charging $2.50 extra for a cocktail ordered with ice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no problem with them charging for water. I grew up in an ocean resort town where apparently getting filtered, fresh (non-salt/ocean) water was expensive (as well as they sought to conserve the fresh water on the islands) so they charged for it. It's not really anything new. Read the darn menu. They don't give you verbal price disclaimers for anything else on the menu, they've assumed that if you're ordering something, you've read how much it costs.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. We want them to stay in business, pay their staff and feed their families....BUT we don't want to pay any more when their costs go up?! lol. You guys, seriously, that makes no sense. If there is increased overhead, they MUST increase prices or there will be no PROFIT. PROFIT pays the bills and keeps the restaurant OPEN. The economy is bad, what do you expect them to do?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• please! we already pay for it. just because it's not on the bill doesn't mean it's free. they include all that when pricing out meals.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 9:50 PM on May. 6, 2009

• http://www.nypost.com/seven/04272009/photos/side_dishes.jpg

Anonymous

• OMG. That's ridiculous!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Yes I know we paid already for all but nowadays restaurants are charging extra. No more bread for me please!
    Anonymous

• Their was a study done in my area of what restaurants spend on water every year. Some small mom and pop places spend up to $1000 to offer "free" water. Some of the chain restaurants spend a few thousand a year.  I don't care to pay for it as long as I know ahead of time that there is a charge for bread, water, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Disgrace. I cannot believe it. I'm sure they cut their portions too like El Gaucho but raised the cost of the steak. That's appalling. I think we should bring our own damn bottled water in and tupperware to hand to the waiter to give to the chef to carry out our to go orders. What is wrong with people? I hope people boycott these restaurants. Like Nobu isn't making money hand over fist. Disgusting!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm not surprised, especially in areas where people are eating out less.
    Don't like it? Know what you're paying for then, and budget accordingly. Don't get upset because restaurants won't give you free things.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 9:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Restaurants are hurting just like everyone else. It is a cost saving measure. I say whatevr, but people should be told first, of course.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Not only in the city. When I go to my fav pizza restaurant they charge us 50 cents for the aluminum plates.
    NewYorkCafemom

Answer by NewYorkCafemom at 9:56 PM on May. 6, 2009