My 3 month old eats ALOT!

my son when he was born weighed 6lbs 11oz. he is 3 months old and weighing 16 lbs. which isn't to bad, he will eat 8-15 oz. at a time! piggy he is! i im starting to put ceral in his bottle and starting him on some fruits? is this okay or any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok so I don't believ'e in listening to the docs and books to wait for foods and cereal. The rule bsically is.....supported sitter ( with ur help ) gets cereal and first foods, sit on own gets 2nd foods and juices, and so on....mine is 4 months and she has been on cereal since 3 weeks and foods since 11 weeks. try just a little and see how they readt. If they still are havng BM's reg. then go for it. It's worked wonders for my piglet.. She actaully sleeps through the night
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 11:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• 3 months old is to early to be feeding him cereal...and you def. shouldnt put it in his bottle
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• yeah your suppose to wait for ceral and jar food at 5mths..three months is too young.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 10:14 PM on May. 6, 2009

• no, it's not okay. it's way too early to start solids.
    if he's hungry then feed him breastmilk or formula but no solids yet.
    Anonymous

• my son was 10lbs 5oz 22inch, and he didn't even eat that much at that age. he ate 6oz every 4-5 hours. i didn't start him on rice cereal until 5 months, no matter how much i wanted too. thier tummy is NOT ready for solids at that age. even with my dd, i waited as long as possible. she didn't get solids until she was 7 months. oh and FYI: NEVER put cereal in your baby's bottle. you should start feeding them cereal with a spoon. if they have that tongue reflux, where she pushes the spoon away with her tongue, that means her body is saying she's not ready yet.
    Anonymous

• no it's not ok. you need to just give him formua. solids should not be started until he's 6 months old. it should never ever be put into a bottle because it's a choking hazard.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• He's SUPPOSED to be hungry all the time. You are supposed to feed him formula or breastmilk, nothing else. Starting cereal in the bottle now is prepping his intestinal system for nasties like Crohn's Disease and the rest of his body for obesity. We know that's not what you want but that is the risk you're taking, just like driving without a seatbelt puts you at risk for getting killed in a crash. It might not happen but the risk is there so let's not take it.

Chin up. Growth spurts happen at intervals of three...three weeks, six weeks, three months, etc.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I started both of mine at 4 months. they were both very ready for it, and did great eating. My dr was also ok with me starting solids! he encouraged it, cuz he knew they were ready. i also put cereal in the bottle, and so did everyone else i know! it really does help sometimes. they still got plenty of formula
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 11:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Read this article before you do: Baby Bottles and Cereal http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. You will find lots of moms who gave baby cereal in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine". Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:42 PM on May. 6, 2009