do you know some tips in classroom management with preschoolers?

I am a new teacher and I need some advice to work with groups of young learners

happymom384

Asked by happymom384 at 10:02 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Redirect.
    Anonymous

• Quit and go home...lol. It takes a special lady to work with a group of children that young, so hats off to you!

You could try "pulling cards" where you basically give each student three cards under their names on a board: green, yellow, red. Everyone starts out the day with green, but with bad behavior you remove it to yellow, then to red if there is another offense.

Also, have the students help you write the classroom rules (i.e. indoor voices, no hitting, no running) and hold them to it by just asking "which rule do you need to work on?"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:09 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm trying to think of what they do in our preschool, I know they give them choices, have a "table" designated for working out disagreements, warnings and then they sit out an activity if they are naughty, they have to behave and do certain tasks to earn a sticker and after 8 stickers they get to go to the Prize Box for a reward. It's a tough job. Kids need discipline and teachers are rarely allowed to enforce it as parents get so miffed. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:16 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Exactly...quit & go home. Haha.

But seriously, I am a new pre-k teacher as well. I've worked w/ younger children before, but not this many at once...and none this rowdy & disrespectful. Everything I knew about pre-k has gone out the window. The regular rules don't apply w/ these imps. It's ridiculous! They made me cry on my first day...and I got so upset to the point where I was throwing up. I have been there for a month now & I have more control & respect, but I'm still working. My strategy is to work w/ them one by one, until you have each individual's respect. Yelling DOES NOT work. It'll just make you miserable. Get down in their ear & tell them firmly what you need them to do. Break them up into 2-4 different groups & have each group doing something different, then rotate them. Working w/ smaller groups works out a lot better for me & it doesn't get as chaotic. And remember that all kids are different!
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 10:17 PM on May. 6, 2009

• One thing that I want to try is to purchase a door bell unit. Turn the volume way down, but try to find a fun tune. WHen the kids are getting loud or I need their attention I'll "ring" the bell! I'd also try the red, yellow, green system. Each child has a "stoplight" night to their name on a board. Everyday they start at green, but if behavior gets bad they can work their way towards yellow. As far as a reward system, this one is really effective. tape little ziplock baggies to the backs of their chairs. Throughout the day put something like dried lima beans or buttons in their baggies when they're behaving or they do something really good. At the end of the week they go to a prize shelf and depending on the number of buttons, get to pick a prize. THe one with the most at the end of the week gets a special brown bag prize. They prizes can be cheap toys or something, nothing expensive but they'll still love it.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:18 AM on May. 7, 2009

• and forgive my typing...I just woke up hehe!!!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:19 AM on May. 7, 2009

• hey i like those ideas, im going to implement them with daycare!!!
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 11:07 AM on May. 7, 2009