How do I help my 5 year old daughter with seperation anxiety?

I am not sure what is going on not even sure if it is seperation anxiety or what. Lately my daughter has been attached to my hip like glue. At home if I get up from the couch she follows me or freaks out and ask where I am going. I don't leave her and she has been away from me at the most 4 months in her lifetime. How do I help her throught this? I can't go to the bathroom without her following.

jenn981478

Asked by jenn981478 at 10:15 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did someone close move away? Did you and her father separate? That happened to my cousin's daughter and she is 3. She just has to be reminded that you are coming back.
    Anonymous

• Something is threatening her. Or someone.
    She feels safe with you and that is why she wants you around.

Time for a few questions....
    If she won't open up to you, see a pediatric psychologist.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:25 PM on May. 6, 2009

• timelessglass hit the nail on the head that is what i was thinking is there anyone in particular that she avoids being alone with? talk to a kiddie psyche asap
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 11:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i suffer from separation anxiety and my sister does as well. she is now 14. i went to kindergarten and first grade with her. we both take paxil to help. i have a few suggestion if she goes to school put notes in a lot of places, cut a blankey and put it in her pocket , also ask her why she is feeling so nervous is she having nightmares is she worried about something. talking helped me and my sister a lot good luck.
    kmsmommy430

Answer by kmsmommy430 at 12:04 AM on May. 7, 2009