• In the Spotlight:

Are sugar-free foods making you fat?

I've been watching my sugars lately and have been eating no-sugar foods like in ice creams,drinks,chocolate,pies,.Of course these foods aren't good for me but these I eat occasionally.I splurge on Dove chocolates these make me so fat,but I'm wondering if you noticed getting fat on sugar free foods too?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 10:17 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you are watching your sugar intake because of diabetes, then you are kinda on the right track but you need a bit more of a nudge in the proper direction. Sugars aren't so bad as CARBS are! Your body can get rid of the sugar in about an hour or less, but the carbs take longer to get into your system and they are eventually turned into sugar and then into stored fat if you don't burn it up with exercise. Sugar free ice cream still has carbs. So does sugar free pies. So does pasta, bread, grains, starchy veggies......You'd be much better off counting carbs. If you've got a sweet craving, try fresh fruit (no juice) with a protein food. Example: 1/2 melon with 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter. Sliced pears with 2 oz. sliced hard cheese like cheddar. If you've got to have chocolate, then have just ONE small piece, let it melt in your mouth and SAVOR the flavor. Otherwise, just say no.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:45 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Are you talking about reduced sugar versions of the ice cream and chocolate and such? If not they are incredibly high in sugar. Even with sugar free things, the fat content is probably still the same. I noticed that with my coffee creamer. I went sugar-free thinking it would be better for me, but the fat content is still high for a little splash in my coffee.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Interesting question.....

I have heard that the body doesn't recognize the artificial sweeteners as satisfying the "sweet tooth". I don't know how this would play into them causing someone to become fatter, though.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Not reduced sugar foods,just sugar-free.I think some of the artificial sweeteners don't agree with my metabolism and they make me fat.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 10:29 PM on May. 6, 2009

• You can also try chewing gum to satisfy your sweet craving.
    michiganmom116