Has anyone had their Gallbladder removed, or have any problems with theirs?

I've had 3 attacks within a month, and my doctor reffered me to a surgeon, who then advised me to have it removed. I have 1 small gallstone that is causing the pain. I'm SO scared to go through with the surgery. I've been reading some horror stories about the "aftermath" of having it removed. Has anyone had their gall bladder removed and was glad you did it? Either way, I would love to hear your input.

carastacey

Asked by carastacey at 10:22 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Health

• Husband had it done several years ago. Surgery was simple. They use a laproscope (small incision in belly button area) and one other small one to remove it. Took three days of laying still and then he moved around. It is MUCH better than having those horrendous gall stone attacks. Make sure the surgeon is board certified and it'll be a piece of cake.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:27 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had a really bad attack when my oldest was a month old. I didn't know what was wrong with me...I seriously thought I was dying. My dh rushed me to the ER. While I was there the pain subsided. The dr sent me home. Two months later when I no longer had insurance it the pain came back. I refused to go to the dr I didn't have insurance. Finally after four days of extreme pain my mom made me go the ER. So the doc comes in and asks three questions and says I think your gallbladder is bad. I started laughing...GB problems were for old ladies right? Wrong, he told me it is very common in pregnant or recently pregnant women.
    They did an ultrasound to make sure and I had emergency surgery the next morning. Because I had waited so long during the attack to go in my GB was becoming infected and the walls were thickening.
    I had the surgery and felt great. I did have sensitivity to greasy food for about three years. But it is fine now.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:33 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Back in '98, a month after my 1st was born.

The surgery's not bad -- day surgery. The aftermath --- yeah, not fun. It takes a LONG time for your body to adjust, but it's not horrific or anything. Just stay near a bathroom any time you eat while your body adjusts and you learn what foods do what. EVERYTHING upset my stomach for well over a year, but then it got better. It's never been back to the way it was, though. I can eat a meal one day & be fine... then eat the exact same meal a week later & be bathroom bound... so just be prepared for that.

It's been nearly 11 yrs now & recently I started having the same kind of pain in the same spot as before --- dull throbbing achy feeling under the right ribcage. Exact same spot. Exact same pain. I guess I'm going to have to go get it checked out.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:43 PM on May. 6, 2009

• funny thing my cousin just had 3 huge quarter size stones removed from hers and my mom had hers removed a couple of years ago they havent had any significant problems since good luck
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 10:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Had mine out eight months after my son was born. No big deal, really. The fillings I got yesterday were more troublesome. (Holding my mouth open that long is a REAL pain!)

Answer by gdiamante at 10:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had mine removed about 12 years ago, I really didn't have any problems with the surgery or recovery. I did have the bad gas pains in my chest for a few days, but rocking in a rocking chair helped alot.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm so glad I got mine taken out! I had a few attacks during my 3rd trimester and a few more over the next 6 months. I will never feel that pain again and that is such a relief!

My digestive system hasn't changed much since the surgery last summer. The only difference is I can't eat much pork, for some reason it feels unpleasant going thru my system. I can eat 2 slices of bacon or 1 pork chop and I'm fine, any more and it feels like it's scratching the inside of my belly... but that's not a bad thing if it keeps me from eating stuff that's not good for me anyway. And a friend of mine who had hers taken out gets diarrhea more than she used to, which is a pain but not as painful as the attacks were! Everyone is different. It's hard to predict how you'll feel after the surgery, but if you're like me it's totally worth it!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 11:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had mine removed and I will tell you once in a while i've had what my OB described(when i was prego with the twins) as "ghost pains". So although the gall bladder is gone you may still experience the discomfort like you had when it was still there. I had a quick recovery. And i think having it removed is much better than going through that horrible pain that makes you want to crawl up and die so to speak. I remember being 4 mos prego with my 3rd child hunched over a pillow on my knees in bed. Not pretty.

It's definitely a good thing, just from my experience. Good luck!!!!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:43 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I was very sick for years before they figured out it was my gall bladder. I didn't have actual stones they could see. My gall bladder kept getting infected and was only working at 11%. Everytime I would eat too much fat I would get an attack. I thought my problem was my fibromyalgia so when I would go in I would complain about my back pain as though it was back pain.
    I was on the atkins diet and was getting worse and worse. I finally ended up getting a correct diagnosis and having my gall bladder taken out.
    I still have problems if I eat ALOT of fat, or if I eat something too spicy. Spaghetti sauce also causes me stomach upset. Other then that my life has improved greatly. Surgery was simple, recovery fairly easy, and I was back to work a week later.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:07 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I am going through the same thing right now. I haven't had mine out yet, but I am having it done electively in a couple weeks. I can't live with wondering when the next attack will come. Good luck mama!
    Anonymous