Should I take my ex off our mortgage?

My ex suggested that I refinance the mortgage myself. I plan to sell in the 2 - 4 years and, right now, with the bad housing market, will probably have to pay to get out of the mortgage. If that happens, he has to pay 1/2 of it. On the other hand, if the market picks up and I can sell it in a few years, I might have some equity. What do you think? Who should I talk to about this?

funmom99876

Asked by funmom99876 at 10:25 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• It's in his best interest for you to refinance. If you default on the payment, his credit is trash.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i'd talk to your lawyer and to a real estate agent and get their opinions. the real estate agent can give you an idea of what they think the market will be like in a few years, and the lawyer can give you an idea of what would happen if you took his name off the mortgage and the market doesn't go up if he would still have to input anything. to me it sounds like your ex is just trying to get out of the responsibilities he would have if something were to happen
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I think its just wrong NOT to refinance especially if you got the house. You now have claimed full responsibility by taking it. Let him move on with his life. Why keep his name on there unless you want to hold onto him? That is just mean..sorry..really touchy subject.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:35 PM on May. 6, 2009