How do I get my 3 year old to want to start going potty on the potty chair?

Potty training, 3 year old boy, has no interest, likes his diapers,
tried underwear, tried reinforcers, gone once on potty, has no interest

nhallanger

Asked by nhallanger at 10:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I only have girls, But my nephew Thought it was KOOL to pee outside on the tree or bush and he just kept going from there.
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• we had a hard time with our first too, we let him throw cheerios into the toilet and he had to aim for each one, using the cheerios, he was potty trained in 2 weeks.
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 10:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Don't make an issue of it. If he isn't ready yet, give it a week or two and try again. I have four sons, and all trained at different ages. With the last one (who is four now) I just totally let him go at his own pace, never pushed it, and he has "accidents" much less frequently than the others ever did.

I just thought of something else - Do you change him on demand? That was an issue with my oldest son. When I stopped dropping everything to change him everytime he soiled his diaper (meaning he would have to wait until I was finished with whatever task I was involved in, NOT that I'd make him sit all day in poop), he was suddenly more motivated to use the potty. LOL Just something to consider...
    Good Luck!
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 10:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• ah...just put him in underwear. EVery thirty minutes or so put him on the potty. Tell him they dont make his size diaper no more. You'll see progress in a few days. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 11:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i once hes still half asleep i put my child on the potty chair then i would as soon as hes up from a nap. i would let them watch tv bad i know but it would make him stay there
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Boys are much harder to train to me anyway. My son was a month before he turned 3 I had tried everything and was frustrated. He just liked diapers and pull ups. I tried most answers above he just caught on one day. You do have to just take them often and no destractions. They tend to want to play and not go potty. Good luck.
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2008