my boys hamster is dying...

He's a very active hamster and climbs all over the cage but today he's just laying there making some sort of squeeky sound.. Im heart broken for my boy, he said he prayed for god to take him cause he doesn't wanna see him in pain... do any of u own a hamster? Do u know what I could do?... I wish I knew what to do!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i'm sorry for you and your son. i don't think there really is anything that can be done for a hamster, i would suggest taking it out of his room if its in his room, that way it doesn't keep him awake or he doesn't hear him die in the middle of the night i have heard a pet take its last breath on the way to the vet hospital and its not an experience anyone should have to deal with especially a kid.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:47 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I had 2 hampsters and 1 guinea pig when I was growing up. The first hamster I found dead (still dont know why) when I went to clean his cage. It was hard, but I wanted another one. So I got another hamster. I was young, and thought that he and the cat could play while I cleaned his cage... the cat ended up biting the hamster. The hamster was weezing and we took him to the vet. Now that I look at it, it was a waste of $35, but it made me feel better (maybe it will make your DS feel better?). And I loved my guinea pig, but he was old and dying. After coming home from vacation, he had passed. I was 15? and still heartbroken. Its best for children to learn that death is a part of life. And if it makes you and him feel better, take it to the vet.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:46 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I answered your question on the other post...
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:46 PM on May. 6, 2009

• OP HERE~~ sorry for posting in two different sections..
    I think even I fell in love with the hamster because im going crazy on line trying to see if there's something I can do.. My boy is only 10 and had never had a pet before, so this is killing him..
    Anonymous

• I had a couple of hamsters when i was growing up but they pasted away of old age i think they only live for like 3 yrs or 4 but i have learned that guinea pigs live longer
    Anonymous

• We had eleven hamsters, (my sister and I) growing up and we actually have a little hamster "cemetary" in my moms backyard....we took the hamster that died and put them in their favorite little bed and buried them in that...It might seem weird to some but that's how we dealt with it and my dad never planted anything over there as to not "disturb" the little hamster area....we even have little sticks at the head of each one with the name on it....it helped us and we would still go back later on and remember that hamster...sorry for your little boy. There is really nothing you can do for him....they only live a couple of years. Good luck =(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• aww. i had a hampster when i was like 12... he died :(:(... someone left paper by his cage and he ended up eating a bunch of it.... i would say take him to the vet if u can....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My daughter had a Russian Blue. She was SO CUTE and Cheyenne named her Kitty because she had little white paws and markings like a cat. Chey only had her for about 8 months and then for no apparent reason Kitty just died. She was well fed and watered. we had a hamster ball that we let her roll around the house in, she had cedar shavings for bedding that were changed frequently-- she just died suddenly. So sorry for your loss. i think they only live like a year.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• op here~~Rhyno just passed away and my boy is unconsolable(he named hi Rhyno after the hamster on Bolt) thanks for the comments mamas
    Anonymous

• Ahhh... poor kid. I love little pets and have had mice, rats, hedgehogs and now guinea pigs, but they just do not live all that long and it's hard to say goodbye. Our hedgehog died last summer (she was extremely old) and my son sobbed like his heart was broken- it made me even sadder. He still says he misses her sometimes. However I do think that death is a part of life and kids need to have these experiences... my son now takes very loving care of our two guinea pigs and though I know he will be sad when they pass, I'm glad he has figured out that animals enrich our lives even if they do not live as long as we do. ((HUGS)) to you and your son and sorry about Rhyno.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:38 PM on May. 6, 2009