At my wits end

I just don't know to get through to my 7 year old boy. Every day for the past week he has snuck out somehow. Last Tuesday he took his 4 year old brother out the window at 930 at night, long after I'd put them to bed, and I didn't even know til I got a knock at my door that a woman had picked them up trying to cross a nearby 4 lane road. The very next night, he did it again, only we couldn't find either of them and had to call the police because I thought they had been kidnapped. Taking things away does not work. Grounding does not work. He lies constantly and does things because he thinks he should be able to do whatever he want, regardless of what I think. I really don't want to start spanking, because that's never worked in the past, but I am just lost as to what to do. He's such a young child to be pulling this stuff so soon, and I'm scared he's going to get himself or his brother killed. Cond

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is now a lock on his bedroom window to prevent them from going out that way, and I feel I have to lock their bedroom door to prevent them from leaving during the night. I just don't know what to do. This outrageous behavior just started 2 weeks ago and every single day it has been something. I'm at the point where I don't even want to pick him up from school because I know I'm going to wind up crying and upset at what he's doing to our family.

He's ONLY 7!
    Anonymous

• Please, get some professional help with this. Start with your pediatrician.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:44 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I really wish I could offer you some advice, but I don't have any. If one of my kids even considered doing anything close to that I would beat that little ass so bad that they'd never forget. I think the PP has good advice to take him to get help. Good luck and be strong mama!
    Anonymous

• I'll ask you THIS! WHAT do you think MY mom would have done? She was a single mom raising two kids and working 12 hour shifts at GM. Well i'll answer that for you. She would have pulled a willow switch and BUSTED my fanny with it!!! AND BELIEVE ME I would NEVER have thought about pulling a stunt like THAT again. That is what is wrong with our society now. The kids are in charge of the parents, and the parents mind them very well....
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:02 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I know you can't tell what kind of parent I am normally from that post, but I am a very strict parent. I am a single mom of 2 boys - and up until now I'd been doing a damn good job of it. I'm raising my kids the way I was, with the exception of being spanked with belts. I still hate my dad to this day for beating with a belt and I refuse to use the same on my child. That's the full extent of what I'm unwilling to do.

I have plans of calling the school psychologist tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• Trust me, I know from experience that the school psychologist can't do much. Get a REAL counselor! NOW!
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:32 AM on May. 7, 2009

• He need's help and the school phycologist is a great first start, ours is AMAZING! Not all of them are worthless. Start there and see if you can figure out where his need to run comes from.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:09 AM on May. 7, 2009

• He needs a child psychologist yesterday! You also need to seperate the boys from being in the same room because he is not only a danger to himself but to the little one as well. This is a life and death situation you are dealing with here. Don't mess around. Lock all windows and doors. Make sure your smoke detectors work. Get him help before it is too late. This is over any of our heads and you both need the advice of a professional.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:32 PM on May. 7, 2009