Kids erasing themselves?

I have heard of cutting, scratching, stabbing and banging their heads against the wall. Now they are rubbing a pencil eraser on the back of their hands til they break the sink and then when the eraser is gone they just keep rubbing the metal head that holds the eraser in place, this is just plain ol' sickening. 15 kids in 5th grade were caught doing this at the school I work at. Rumors are it is an initiation to get into a gang and another was an Emo told his friends if they cared about him they would do the same. It could be a fad that we don't know about spreading so just a polite heads up and watch your kids for signs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What is wrong with these kids? I think alot of them need their parents to pay some attention to them and take them to counseling if they are really hurting themselves. I would know if my child was hurting themselves...I am very nosy and spend every evening with my teens.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• An Emo lol...hahahahaha not an Emo!!.. Im sorry but thats funny to me.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:54 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I have never heard of this.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on May. 6, 2009

• thats kinda dumb.... if kids really do that then....wow.... i dunno... im speechless...lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I'm 37yrs old and I can remember back in 7-8 grade kids were doing this in my class. Nothing new to me. BUT I don't recall them continuing to "erase" after the eraser was gone...that's kinda wicked. Owie!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:06 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Wow, kids have been doing this since WAY before I was in school. I remember my sister doing it. For some reason they get a thrill out of it. But they get sick of it after about a month. It's got nothing to do with being emo, or in a gang or what not. It's just plain old boredom during school (and a touch of stupidity). :-)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• i am so happy that self loathing was not in when i was younger although we had our cutters we didn't have 2 many spoiled little rich kids who think life sucks cuz the hot topic at the mall ran out of their $100 skinny jeans in a size 0 or mom and dad cut their weekly allowance in half cuz they won't ever eat i mean really what can they buy with only $250 sarcasm ( my definition of emo kids ) parents need straight jackets and rubber walls to deal with the whiny brats today sorry jmo
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 11:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My son is almost 19 now, and out of school, but they did this when he was in middle school. He had a few marks on him from doing it, I was pretty upset about it, he said it was just for fun, to see who was cool, or who was a wuss.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:15 PM on May. 6, 2009

• This is the first I have heard of this. Thats kinda disturbing
    lala83girl

Answer by lala83girl at 11:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• WE USED TO DO THIS WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL BUT IT WASN'T BAD...WE ALSO USED TO WRITE ON OUR ARMS WITH LEAD PENS!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:52 PM on May. 6, 2009