My 8 month old son fell off the bed.

He fell onto a plastic computer mat on the carpet face up. So he hit the back of his head. He screamed and cried but he seems ok now. The only thing is that it's his bedtime now! It just happened like 15 minutes ago. So what should I do? I feel like the worst mother in the world. I walked away for a half a second and THUD! I'm scared to let him go to sleep but he's so cranky cuz he wants to sleep! What should I do? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He should be ok, my daughter crawled right off my water bed when she was around that age, it was early and we were sleeping, well I was and she was always curious about the damn edge of the bed, well i woke up to a thud and her crying :( and I have hard wood floors at that!
    Anonymous

• aw he's fine! you said he seems ok, then he's fine. kids always fall, so don't feel bad. my dd just fell off the couch today, cried for a sec then was just fine. my ds fell out of the car on cement once, and he cried for a sec then was laughing the next. kids aren't as fragile as they seem, so don't freak out, he can go to bed, as long as he seems just fine to you.
    Anonymous

• I dont know how to answer your question, but dont feel like the worst mother!! Last week I left 4 month old DD on the couch for half a second to put my cereal bowl on the table. Its seriously less than 10 feet away. I hear a thud, and turn around, and shes face down on the carpet. She didnt cry, but I had noticed a pulsating on the top of her head. I freaked out and called 911. The paramedics came.. they told me the pulsating was normal-nobody ever told me about their soft spots- and I felt like a retarded bad mom. She ended up being fine. They told me to watch out for signs of her acting differently or vomitting.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• That happened to our baby and we had her stay up at least a half hour. But it depends on how hard he hit, but I'm sure he will be just fine. I felt like the worst parent ever too, but she was ok and it happens just be more careful put him on the floor on a blanket everytime you have to take your eyes off him for a minute.
    Anonymous

• The same thing happened to my daughter when she was a little younger than that. She crawled off the bed and fell onto her back right before bed. She was alright. i just went in and checked on her multiple times that night. You are not a bad mother! Accidents happen!
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 11:01 PM on May. 6, 2009

• aww i'm happy he's ok! my son has been in accidents before, right as I turn around, and I felt so terrible. but he was always ok! shooken up, maybe got a tiny bruise, but was always ok! if he's cranky go ahead and let him sleep. you can cover him with more kisses in the morning =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:03 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Call the hospital and ask them for warning signs . . change in appetite, lethargy, disorientation, etc. I'm sure he is totally fine BUT, head injuries are not something you want to mess with and sometimes the warning signs are so subtle that you miss them unless you look for them and then it can be too late.
    Anonymous