how do I really know if my 2yr son does not have Autism? Is he to small to tell still?

My 2yr old has does not speak yet, he does not listen when I call him by name, he doesnt ever give me eye to eye when i talk to him, half of the time he doesnt understand me when i'm trying to explain somthing he thoughs fit for no reason but he is very active likes to jump and play with weired object he never calls me mom he just knows i'm he's mom . tell what does all this mean? every one always tells me one day he will go out of it but when? And when i see all the kids talking and repeating everything i wish that was my son it break me down when i try to talk to him and he looks at me in blank stare and i know he really doesnt know what i'm telling him. I fell like its my fault for not working with him enough.

cutiepootie

Asked by cutiepootie at 10:58 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is old enough that he can be tested to find out what is wrong with him. at 2 he should def understand basic stuff and be able to use basic words. if your doctor has told you not to worry i would call your local "headstart" program, they send therapists to your house to sit with your child for about an hour and they analyze based on certain criteria and determine if he needs therapy, the initial analaysis is free and the therapy cost is based on your income. if they feel he has autism or something else they can also contact your sons doc with the results for you that way if he needs medication or anything like that to help him you have "educated" (not saying you aren't but docs all think that parents freak out)people saying that his behavior is abnormal.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:07 PM on May. 6, 2009

• If you have not had your son's hearing checked, I would take him to a specialist and make sure he can hear you. What you describe could be because he has fluid in his ears or has a hearing problem. The characteristics you describe also sound like someone with Autism, but that doesn't mean that he is.
    If your pediatrician continues to say that he will grow out of it and your son continues to display these characteristics, I would get another opinion and maybe another pediatrician. I have heard this before with other children. They need some special help at an early age, but don't get it until they are ready to start kindergarten and by then they are very far behind their peers. Take your son to have a hearing evaluation and also to a psychologist to determine if he is autistic. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:40 AM on May. 7, 2009

• You should definitely follow your instincts and have him tested. If there is an issue, early intervention is best.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Have you discussed any of this with your doctor? I would if I were you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Stop listening to the people telling you he'll outgrow it and listen to your instincts. Lack of response to name and lack of eye contact are flags for autism. Talk to your doctor and rule out hearing problems then have him tested by your state's Early Intervention team. (Note: Autism is a medical diagnosis so it must be made by a doctor. Testing by EI may result in a referral to a specialist in developmental delays.) I have a nephew who is autistic and it took a long time for it to be diagnosed. The sooner you can determine the problem (whatever it may be), the sooner therapy can start, the better the results. This is true whether the problem is a hearing problem, a developmental delay or autism. (My son was a late talker. Early Intervention did wonders for him!) Good luck!
    Anonymous