breastfeeding horror.......

my daughter i 4 months. Ever since she was 4 hours ol she wouldn't feed from the right side. She will once in a while but mostly refuses. Soooo now my left breast is twice the size of the right. pumping and all it won't get ant bigger...HELP

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 11:04 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • My son did the same thing with me, only it was my left side. I consulted with a lactation expert and they said that it can sometimes be a difference in nipple size or anatomy, so I tried a nipple shield. It helped a little but not much. It can also be the way that you are holding her. Try different positions. After 11 months of nursing, there was a clear difference in size and 'perkiness' of my two breasts. But, now about 5 months later, they are starting to look about the same. I'd call a nurse or la leche and try their suggestions. Continue pumping the right side but she may just not nurse from that side at all. BUT, at least you are able to nurse her!!! Keep up the good work. It's a lot harder than people think.
    Anonymous

• Pretty normal, I'm afraid! Stuffing the smaller side is the usual treatment. It will even out down the line.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:10 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I don't have that problem, however i do notice my left breast produces more on that side. My baby doesn't mind either side. I can relate to breastfeeding issues, i just wrote up a journal today of my latest breast feeding experience which hasn't been sugar and spice! Wish you the best, good luck!
    LilStar9905

Answer by LilStar9905 at 11:11 PM on May. 6, 2009

• It is totally normal for baby to prefer one breast, and for one breast to produce more. The only problem is cosmetic. Don't worry! They will even out after weaning! Just stuff the small breast until then.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:39 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I have the same issue. With both kids actually. One breast is at least a full cup size bigger. Nothing you can do. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Stuff a sock in the other side, lol. It's fine to nurse off of one side, really. There's no problem with it.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:44 AM on May. 7, 2009