Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 10 month old ate cat poop!

I don't know if he necessarily swallowed I just looked over at him gagging and saw the turd in his had. Poison control said he would be fine but if the cat has any bacterial diseases there may be cause for concern but the cat is an indoor cat found as a kitten walking down the street. Do I really have cause for concern or is water and a pat on the back for something to put in his baby book all that it is?

 
andrearaeb

Asked by andrearaeb at 11:18 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • if your cat has all its shots and is healthy he should be fine. i caught my dd with dog poo in her mouth once when the dog was a puppy we didn't realize he'd messed in the house and she found it before we did. she was fine and her doc said she would be, yup its totally gross but he should be fine. just keep an eye out for anything funny tummy related (constipated, diahrehea) or a fever. otherwise move the liter box somewhere he can't get (we put a gate up for about 5 months that the cat could jump but dd couldn't get over when she started getting curious about the box) give him something to drink and just laugh it off :)
    vabchmommy

    Answer by vabchmommy at 11:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • BLECK!!!! That is so nasty! LOL
    I think I might call your doctor in the morning and ask about a worm med though... cats tend to have worms a lot... even the indoor ones if they happen to eat a grasshopper or something like that.
    For SURE needs to go in the baby book!
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 11:21 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Most likely, if the cat has been in your house for a few months, anything it is carrying would already have been fought off by you and your family...in other words, you're all immune.

    However, it might be a good idea to put the litter box behind a child gate. We fixed the sides of the gate we had to be wide enough for our cat to squeeze through. Our son never dined at the box! ;-)

    timelessglass

    Answer by timelessglass at 11:22 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • haha too funny. You cant let them one down for when he is married!! He should be fine, I would mention it to the pediatrician of course. LOL..time to teach someone "caca" that is how my 16month old knows not to touch it.
    Bugsmommy1908

    Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:24 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • LOL thats funny he should be fine but its one heck off a memory
    lilmama29113

    Answer by lilmama29113 at 11:26 PM on May. 6, 2009

  • Ewwww! I would have panicked! my son sneaks dried catfood, but thankfully never poop. he's gotten close though (the litterbox is covered but out in the open in the bathroom). i'm glad you called poison control! they have a point about bacteria, but as the PP wrote, if you've had that cat a while, theres a higher chance you've been exposed and are immune to any diseases/sicknesses. but call the dr. tomorrow just to be on the safe side! and please wash the baby's mouth out! LOL
    Owl_Feather

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:37 PM on May. 6, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN