When did you start potty training your daughter and how did you know when to start?

I'm thinking about starting potty training with my 15 month old daughter this summer. I don't really know how I would be able to tell when she needs to use the potty since she can't really communicate with me. Thanks for your help.

Kenzies_mama

Asked by Kenzies_mama at 11:21 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have heard about moms potty training their kids as newborns, to me it is too much pressure on a little one. Potty training is a big kid thing. Kids grow up way too fast as it is. My daughter was 2 when I got her the potty chair. I never forced her to do anything. She ended up training herself and with in a year she was completely potty trained. If you want to start so young, you will have to keep an on her alot. Eventually you will be able to tell by her body language when she needs to pee. Please don't rush it. As with my second, I started training him before he was ready and it has been a long and hard road for the both of us.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:30 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I havent started my daughter yet of course haha. she is only 7 months. Me and my husband were both potty trained before 18 months so it depends on what you would like to do and what you feel comfortable with. When she wakes up from naps set her on the potty and when she goes praise her and give her some sort of treat like hunnynut cheerios or something like that. best of luck
    kaitsmommy1008

Answer by kaitsmommy1008 at 11:49 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My DD first used the potty at 18 months, but really wasn't interested. We potty trained her at age 3, but I think we could have done it at 2. She was saying, "help! Change diaper!" Our mistake was that we listened to people who said we should let the child decide when he/she is ready, and the child would save us the work. I'll start working on potty training our son around age 2.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:08 AM on May. 7, 2009

• im in the process of trying to potty train my daughter and she's 2 1/2! she's verbal tho she can say pee pee and poo poo. someone told me that put some panties on your daughter and they dont like the feel of peeing or pooping in their underwear, so im gonna try that and see if it works!
    single_mommie24

Answer by single_mommie24 at 12:15 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My dd was potty trained during waking times by 18 mons and completely potty trained not at the age of 32 months. If she ever had an accident I would never punish her I don't feel like that would help I watched my nieces mom do that to her (she's 4) and it took her over a year to potty train her and my sil also punishes my neice who is 28 mons old and she isnt potty trained at all she wets herself and her mommy refuses to put a diaper on her. Just when she goes in the potty make a big deal about it and when you use the bathroom take her with you and tell her what you are doing. You can also get her her own potty chair and some stickers and let her decorate it to make it her own. Get a treat for her like a mm's and when she goes she get a few. Reward her good behavior. Also if she's not showing signs shes ready DON'T push her into it, that will only make it that much harder to potty tain her.

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 1:08 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Signs are taking off a dirty diaper or tugging at it
    Crying when her diaper is dirty
    saying mommy potty just small things like that
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 1:09 AM on May. 7, 2009

• everyone else had good idea. I just wanted to tell you that I have three girls. They are each different. The oldest was potty trained by 18 mo. She was having full conversations with me by age 2 though. The next in line, it took her longer. She would walk around in a diaper that was falling off and stinking and she gave no care. It was a little after her second birthday that we got her potty trained. This last one, she is 23 mo and she will take off her diaper when she is wet and she will sit on the potty but pees very little in it and then usually has a wet diaper very shortly after. She does not let herself pee fully in other words. Anyway, what I am trying to say is each kid is different so just watch for the signs. And by the way the youngest is slightly verbal but she will grab her diaper in the front and that is how I know that she is pooped.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:11 AM on May. 7, 2009