High Hemogloben count on my 1 yr. old

My baby had a blood test to screen for lead (normal test for all babies) anyhow I guess when they checked her blood they got a high hemoglobin reading and now want to run another blood test, anyone know what would cause a high hemoglobin count, what does that mean? Ive heard of low hemoglobin but never high? Just curious and a worrisome mom.

SandyD78

Asked by SandyD78 at 11:26 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i freaked this happened with my dd, where did they draw the blood from?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:28 PM on May. 6, 2009

• ok well, my dd had high count when she was one, i called my sis a nurse and she said that could be any number of things, the most common is cancer. however she also asked me where they drew blood, they took it from my dd's finger, she said that when they take it from a finger/toe they have to squeeze to get that drop of blood so it affects the blood count. she also said any number of other things can affect the blood count, which is why they do the second one to double check on it before proceeding and doing other tests, i know thats probably not what you wanted to hear, i def didn't want to hear it, but my dd then had the blood taken from her arm (i insisted on it, they are old enough at age 1 to draw there) and everything came back normal and her doc said it was probably b/c it was taken from the finger and squeezed to get the blood out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:36 PM on May. 6, 2009

• How high? My dd had that and it was just a viral infection. I googled it and kind freaked about what I saw, but it turned out to be nothing. It wasn't very high, I guess, but enough to do another test. I figured, if the doc wasn't concerned then I shouldn't be. he's awlays been very upfront about what he's concerned about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on May. 7, 2009