my Son is almost 6 years old and he recently has been breaking the rules and lying, not really careing about the concequuences. What should I do???

I have grounded him from everything, down to just sitting on the couch doing nothing. I tried making him work it off, didnt work. Nothing has yet. HELP PLEASE any advice

swan263

Asked by swan263 at 11:35 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you talked to him about his behavior? Does he seem like he is testing limits or does he seem like there is something wrong that he doesn't know how to handle. Talk to his teacher or any other caregiver he is with and see if there have been any recent changes or problems. It could be as simple as one of his friends from school moved away. If you can't find anything that changed either at home or in any other setting, then you will have to start from square one again. But most of the time, when my stepson starts suddenly acting out, it is because there is something on his mind that he uneasy about.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:44 AM on May. 7, 2009

• What you are seeing is disrespect for authority. I know of no other way to teach a child to respect his parents than good old-fashioned spanking. It is most effective when it is started very early. We started using it when our babies got old enough to crawl and get into things. If you haven't used it before now, be prepared for it to take a while to get your message across. I would sit your son down and tell him that there are new rules at our house. From now on, every time he lies, is disrespectful, or disobeys, he will be spanked. At his age, I would probably have him go to his room, pull down his pants and lie across his bed, face down. I would sting him with an instrument rather than my hand. I have used various instruments, but for the last several years, it has been a small plastic, flexible flyswatter. You will want to swat him hard enough that it stings. Be consistent, and you will see changes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:52 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Boy, NannyB, you have a cut & clear blanket answer for every situation. A good ole fashion SPANKIN! Not to hurt your feelings, but some people believe that pulling a childs pants down, in their room & beating their ass with some instrument, would do more harm than good. The only changes this will bring is that your child will fear you, not respect you. If you think otherwise, you are delusional.   Swan263, perhaps creating a little more mommy & me time is in order. Sometimes when my older kids are being unruly for days/weeks at a time, spending extra time with them is all it takes. It helps to reinforce bonds & reminds your kids that they respect you & want to make you happy. I take my son on a date every once in a while. We will go out to a sit down breakfast on a Saturday morning, just he & I. It gives us a chance to reconnect. Even the park may do it. Make sure you play 2, not just watch him. Good luck

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:17 AM on May. 7, 2009

• In my home we take away stuff that they like to do.
    They have sat out at the park while a sibling has played.
    They have lost their bikes, computer time, they can not play with the boy next store.
    For the most part they are not happy when they lose the stuff they want
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:45 AM on May. 7, 2009