How can I help my 7.5mo old son w/constipation?

My 7.5mo old son has had irregular bowel movements since he was a few mos old. Before I started solids ( @ about 5mos ) he was strictly breastfed & still only went about 1 time every 7-10days...the last maybe 1.5-2mos it has been even longer like 10-14days! When he goes I have to pull his legs back & assist him & its hard long stools ( sorry.. ). There is no blood but he is obviously in discomfort. I have tried giving him prunes but it dont work. I live in the mountains where the doctor is 30min away & they really dont appear very concerned & dont give me much useful advice either. is there a safe @ home remedy I can use? is there anything I can do? is it common & should I be concerned? Sorry 1st time mama & Im worried. **My son is still breast fed in addition to baby solids ( prunes, apricots, peaches, pears, carrots, green beans, peas, mixed veggies, bananas-which i have been holding back, etc ). thank you for your time.

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 11:43 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can give him 4 oz of pear juice a day. buy them in the baby section. they are the little bottles of juice that are already pre measured in 4 oz. You can screw a nipple right on the little jice containers. You can also lubricate a Qtip with patroleum jelly and slide the tip in his rectum and press down. It works great and it is waaaay better than laxatives. It just gives him the urge to push it out. It might take a minute but it will not hurt him at all. I promise. My son is 6 months old and That method works great on him. It was weird at first, but it really helped him. But if you dont feel comfortable doing that, you can cut an infants supposotory in 1/4 and use that. It just doesnt work as good and laxatives are kind of harsh in my oppinion.
    CosmicQueen

Answer by CosmicQueen at 11:55 PM on May. 6, 2009

• try mixing some breast milk in with the baby food it makes it easier for them to digest. I also use alittle bit of karo syprup in my daughters bottles, when she starts having a hard time and that seems to work good. or try some apple pune juice diluted that usually helps to. best of luck
    kaitsmommy1008

Answer by kaitsmommy1008 at 11:53 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Try prune juice they one with the sun on it. Now that wont help right away it takes about 24 hrs. I have had to use suppositorys before on my 6 mth old. The dr just told me to break it in half and stick ip up there. Unfortunitally they dont make suppositorys for babys so if u get them they have to be the toddler ones. I use FLEAT-LAX. It works good. I have also had to use ennimas in my 6mth old just insert and squeese ONLY half way because once again they are not for infants. As for the feeding questions im not sur ebecause im not the dr. But if you give the child prune juice regurally it should help.
    Sorry about my spelling.
    LuckyCharmed200

Answer by LuckyCharmed200 at 11:58 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh yeah i forgot try karo surup i used 2 oz in a 8oz bottle. worked for a while, but some dr.s advise agnest this.
    LuckyCharmed200

Answer by LuckyCharmed200 at 11:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

• There is a reason to be a little concerend I have a 13 month old and she had a bowel blockage and she was just going to the bathroom once ever other day mabe when the GI doctor determined this. If it is that hard you can give the baby 3 ml of Milk of Magnesia(the adult brand)
    also they sell infant gluceron supositories and you can give him 3 of those throught out the day. Also karo syrup and apple juice is susposed to help but it sounds like you need alittle medicine intervintion; also not using the restroom properly can be sign of a milk allergy (trust me we are there) and i know that yo are brestfeeding so he may be getting a milk protein from your breast milk because this is in everything almost. If you try some of the medicines that i listed and still your son is not going atlest every other day i would see a Dr if you need a good referal to a great GI dr just ask
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 12:05 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Less solids, more breast milk. My son did the same thing. It IS normal, for an EBF baby. Once they are eating solids, they should go a bit more. No Karo. Risk for botulism. Do you offer water with meals? This IS common, but I do agree that he should probably be going a little more now that he eats solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:07 AM on May. 7, 2009

• if you have gotten to fruite try prunes or apricots
    kmsmommy430

Answer by kmsmommy430 at 12:10 AM on May. 7, 2009

• my son had this problem, mirelax is a good help and juice and fruit.. my son was like that from maybe 2 months till he was about a year old.. and juice and fruit seemed to do it.. did have him on mirelax once everyday for a week then every 2 days....
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 1:12 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I totally agree with miss nevin, miralax works great, but if you need help now try the q-tip add a little vaseline to the tip and gentle massage the anal area usually, withing a few times of swabbing the area, you will have a poop. My dd use to get clogged right before it was ready to
    come out and it works wonders, then after that start using the miralax my pedi told me how much to use. If you can't get your dr by phone to asked e-mail me and maybe I can help. I will have to know the age and weight. Good luck.
    Gran1954

Answer by Gran1954 at 8:00 AM on May. 7, 2009