He doesn't want to go to school anymore!

So I am planning on home-schooling my son next year when he starts kindergarten. He knows this, and is really excited about learning at home with mommy. I put him in VPK this year, so that he could get a little feel for what school is like. I only did it because I had the option of putting him in a private school, and I found one where he only goes two days a week. Monday and Wednesday. At the beginning of the school year, he loved it, and couldn't wait to get to school. But now there is only a month left, and I have to drag him out of the house in the mornings. He says that he doesn't want to leave me, and that the work at his school is too boring. (He's always felt the work was boring, but being around the other kids used to make up for that.) I'm not going to take him out of the class with only a month left, but I don't want to continue fighting with him in the mornings. Any advice?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:43 PM on May. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that's great, I'm a big supporter of homeschoolers!
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 11:46 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Giving into him sends the message that when he doesn't like something he doesn't have to it. Any kid who thinks it's an option will try to stay home whenever they want.

Anonymous

• Oh I don't give in to him. This morning he tried to put his foot down, and said "I'm not leaving this house!" And I picked him up and carried him to the car, and made him go to school. I will not let my boys become quitters. I would just like to find some way to help him want to go to school, so I don't have to fight with for the next month about it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:52 PM on May. 6, 2009

• just get him involved in other things so he will still have the interaction and try getting a calander and letting him put stickers on everyday tell schools done. put a big sticker on the last day it might help him get through it.
    kmsmommy430

Answer by kmsmommy430 at 12:07 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Get him his own calendar. Mark on it the day school is going to be over. Let him mark off the days as they pass. Try to make a game of it. Also, I would use this as an opportunity to teach about the importance of finishing what we start.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I like the calendar idea. another option could be to have him choose something fun to do after each day (something simple like the park, or visiting the pet store) but he only gets to do it if the morning runs smoothly.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It sounds like he needs to get more interaction outside of the house besides schooling (aspecailly that you are thinking of home schooling) put him in a few short programs at the YMCA and or think about perhaps day summer camps also arange playdates and outings with Dad only?

So he does not only want to spend all of his time with just (Mom) give him a chance to branch out.
    Daisysun

Answer by Daisysun at 5:21 PM on May. 10, 2009