Job Fairs

I'm seriously considering going back to work (my son's 11 now). On Tuesday there's a job fair going on not too far from my home. Has anyone ever gone to one? Are they worth the time?

blueyes581

Asked by blueyes581 at 11:54 PM on May. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• What a tough decision to make. I've been to job fairs and I always felt like cattle at a round up. If you are at all interested in working from home check out my website www.familiesrok.com. I started my own business for less than $30. I'm my own boss and I didn't have to worry about what my kids were doing after school. Not to mention, for me sending 4 kids to daycare was not a good financial decision. If you are interested just request info from my site, I'll call you and we can discuss the details over a 30 minute phone appt. If you have questions by all means PM me. Good luck and God bless you!
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 1:08 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I have always found that the jobs at a lot of the fairs are the rinkydinky types. There are some good ones, but they are very picky. I have found better luck at signing up for online membership at my local job service.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I've been at job fairs as a rep for a company I worked for at one time. I did hire someone from there, a great employee. I've never attended on as a potential employee though. Usually, I would start out through a temp agency to get my foot in the door (accountant is my trade), which can be a great way. Are you set on going back to work outside the home? I am a Manager & Independent Demonstrator for Gold Canyon and am able to work from home, setting my own hours, etc. I've been with them about two years. It's awesome having your own business, but with all the support of Gold Canyon. We sell about 100 amazing fragrances in all forms, candles, wickless pod warmers, diffusers, and a lot more. Right now you can get your kit for FREE. Please PM me for more details and to see if Gold Canyon could be a good fit for you! Have a great day! ~ Kim http://www.mygc.com/kimniehaus

justkima

Answer by justkima at 8:46 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My husband has gone to a few within the last few months. There are thousands of people there. That's because we live in Michigan and everyone is out of work. A few suggestions: See a listing of employers before you go. Go see the ones that are most important to you first. Make your resume stand out from everyone else's by placing it in some sort of folder, like a presentation folder or something like that. Wear a suit and good luck. (take some sanitizer for all those hand shakes!)
    marihand

Answer by marihand at 9:34 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Job fairs tend to have most entry level, mostly sales postions. If you decide to go, wear a suit, have lots of copies of your resume, and have your 15 second "elevator speech" ready to go.
    I do career and job search coaching, and I am always happy to help CafeMoms with resumes, cover letters and job search strategy. Feel free to contact me directly.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 2:00 PM on May. 7, 2009