Circles

My boyfriend is a truckdriver and is gone 5 to 6 days a week i have two boys one 3 and one 4 months, i hate his jobs so much but its all we have. he does not have a ged or any other experanice in anything eles and money is tight (pay check to pay check) so its not like he can even take a day off to try and look for another job. its really hard doing everything myself pretty much like a single mother, He works so hard to provide for us and it is so hard on me and my boys. im kinda lost in a way i thought of going to school or maybe a part time job to kinda keep my mind off of it a little bit but i hate to leave my boys w/ anyone and daycare is expensive i would be working to pretty much hand my paycheck over, but then again i would like to have the insureance i hate being on medicade what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• You could get involved in some play dates in your area, or a local church, where you and the boys could spend sometime and take your mind off of being alone so much. I understand how you are feeling, but if the money is good, he has to stay at his job. You could look into going back to school, but you would have to have a babysitter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 7, 2009

• girlfriend you are asking a million dollar question. As much as you might hate it, get a family member to stay with your kids and go out there and get a job. Your SO can get his GED online or within a matter of a few days. just take the days off that he does have and find a small job on the side, quit his trucking and get his diploma. The test is SUPER easy anyways. Then find a good paying job QUICK so all bills will be paid on time. just sit down and tell him all of this so that you both have an understanding for what each other wants and needs. hope I helped a little.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:19 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Education is ALWAYS worth it. Some schools offer free child care so start investigating.

My husband only has a GED. He's always managed to do all right in computer services, but every time he's laid off he has a harder time getting re-hired because of his lack of education. It's really really important to have something more than just a GED or high school diploma, especially these days when people with four year degrees are competing against you for even entry level jobs.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on May. 7, 2009

• you could take some online courses that way you start school up and still can do it on your time so you can do it when the kids are asleep, i know how you feel dh is navy so he's gone 6 months out of the year. when i did work at first she went to day care but that was $90 a week for 2 days a week (it was a part time job and the other times i worked were nights) absolutely ridiculus, then i just stuck with nights when friends and family weren't working who could watch her, and eventually a friend of mine opened a day care and charged me $4 an hour or $20 a day whichever came first. so i took her there just to be around the other kids and so i could get more hours. just look around check out in home daycares they are usually cheaper than centers and the good ones have lots less kids vs adult ratio so they get more one on one time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:29 AM on May. 7, 2009

• It's got to be difficult for you. I know it's a tough decision and I'm glad I made the decision I did. I work about 15 hours a week from home. Then I'm earning some income to help with the bills and I don't have to take my 4 kids to daycare. You can imagine how much that would cost? If you are interested check out my website www.familiesrok.com , request info and I'll call you. I would love to share what I do with you. I started my own business for less than $30, and I'm my own boss. I still take the kids to play dates and I work mostly when they are napping or at school. I'm just trying to help you the only way I know how and if you have any questions just PM me. Good luck and God bless!
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 1:04 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I would go to school if i was u, cause state will pay for it and with 2 kids they will give you maybe 2200 a semester and books and school is maybe 1200 at a community college so there would be money for a sitter while ur in school it will keep ur mind of it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Community colleges have very inexpensive classes (some are even free), ranging from $100-300 (in Chicago). they offer many of their classes online at your convenience. They even have GED prep classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:55 PM on May. 7, 2009