Job Fair Question

My son is now 11 yrs. and I'm seriously considering going back to work. (if I can quite worrying that my DS will be okay) Anyway, there's going to be a job fair on Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone has ever gone to one before? Are they worth the time and hassle? (I hate large crowds)

blueyes581

Asked by blueyes581 at 12:10 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They often are crowded, especially these days. But yes, they're worth the visit because you can hit many potential employers at once.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on May. 7, 2009

• There was one in my city on Monday, 100's of applicants and no one was hiring!! They just talked to job seekers and that was all. Normally, they are a great way to talk to a lot of employers at one time but lately, they have been a waste of my time and gas. Sorry!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 AM on May. 7, 2009

• It really depends on who is hosting it and what type of work you are looking for. We have several here. One good thing is some of them also offer workshops on things like interviewing and resume preparation. If you can get a list of the employers that are scheduled to be there it might tell you if it is worth your time or not.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:52 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I have only been to two.
    The first one was a waste of time - no one was hiring at all except for the National Guard...LOL.
    The second one had tons of vendors, but the ones that were hiring were the top notch fields that I had no experience in, such as the IRS. But there were colleges there and get this, social services was also there giving their pitch on Food Stamps and WIC! I brought home a lot of 'goodies.' That's what I really love about job fairs - the free stuff they give away. Be sure to bring a bag and take a free item from every table you visit. Be sure to look at their literature, ask questions, etc, before just grabbing and running, though, to be polite...lol.
    Anyhow, you never know what might happen at a job fair. My husband ended up with 5 job offers between 2 job fairs, but he is a highly skilled security person with the government right now, so he has a leg up.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:20 AM on May. 7, 2009