Should you cut ties with a toxic sibling if you have children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• YES. And even if you don't.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yep. Although..some peoples' definitions of a toxic sibling vary quite a bit. What's the issue with your sister/brother? If they're addicted to drugs, a sexual predator, alcoholic, etc. - yeah, I'd recommend cutting ties.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 12:28 AM on May. 7, 2009

• No. But I would not allow them to have any contact with my children if I felt they would be an negitive impact in there lives.

I have a sister who is "toxic", and while she does not have any contact with my kids, I call her to check up on her and generally let her know that when she is ready to change... she knows I will be there to help her through it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:52 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My dad and my uncles were all drunks while I was growing up. Oh my gosh, they were so much fun!! The 2 of them would take my 2 sisters and myself camping and hunting or fishing while my mom was at nursing school or work. They would drink and we would all do the "rain dance" around the camp fire while they both played their acustics, sometimes it would rain. I love my dad and my uncle. My dad left us when I was 7 and my uncle ended up with a broken arm years later while drinking. He had a cast on his arm. He had a great girlfriend that he was in love with you had a 1 year old daughter who loved my uncle very much. He slept on the couch when they drank too much, the little girl loved my uncle so much she would sleep on the floor next to the couch. One night, my uncle had a nightmare and fell off the couch. He crushed her llittle body with his cast, she died. So did my uncle, he hasn't been the same ever since. cont..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• years later, I met a wonderful man who loved my 1 yr. old daughter but, he drank a little too much and there was something very sad and wrong that I recognized but couldn't get a handle on. One nighty he told me that...he was babysitting for his brother and sis. He drank too much, fell asleep on the couch and woke hours later with the smell of fire. He managed to get 3 kids out, but not one. Alcoholism is not a choice, it's a disease and effects the best of us. Good luck on whatever you are looking for
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes! My sister is no longer in my life because of being toxic. I do not want her to have any influence on my children.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:57 AM on May. 7, 2009

• cutting ties with any person with whom you have a toxic relationship is a wise move

Answer by admckenzie at 7:42 AM on May. 7, 2009

• absolutely! I did! My younger sister made my life so miserable...when i finally ended that relationship, my life, my emotional well being has ...well im much happier and less stressed. She (my sister) needs to grow up. she puts the blame for her mistakes and wrong doings off on anyone she can...if any pones fault but heres & then she uses her loved ones to pick up the tab. She has kids, 2 of the three dont have an education because she "home schools" them...NOT! the third is in 8th, only because hes so rotton no one can stand him (that apple didnt fall far from the tree) not even her...so she lets anyone take him...
    so YES! If that relationship is detramental to you and/or or family...End it!
    It was the best thing i ever did for myself & my children not to be around her or her influence. I hope to never be around her again...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on May. 7, 2009

• yes, my sister and i both have children, and i had to cut ties with her because she is a very toxic person and was making her kids that way. I couldn't allow my children to be influenced by them and i was tired of dealing with her.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:12 AM on May. 7, 2009

• yes you should, even if you dont have kids. My brother is an addict and has no desire to change and I finally had to protect my heart, my checkbook, and my kids from his hurtful selfish behaviors. I have told him I love him and will be here when he gets his life together. i tried for yrs, gave all I had to help him, and it want enough. I am in recovery myself and I have to comment on something another poster said: yes it is a disease, but when you decide to have kids(liek brother does) that is a CHOICE and its also a choice to continue living your life in addiction. I will always have a disease, but I know how to "treat" it, by staying clean.cut the sibling off, it may save their life.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:44 AM on May. 7, 2009