Anyone go through menopause at 39?? Natural remedies??

My friend at work laughed at me today when I told her I think i'm going through menopause. I have to say I was a wee bit annoyed by it, but she said "You're too young!" I did some research online here, and I do have most of the signs of it...irregular periods, my period use to come one day earlier every month starting last year now it's two days late and still not here...i'm noticing with each period I'm more agitated and irritable than the "norm". I also woke up sweaty two nights ago. (we have a/c) And when I chase the kids around the house playing hide n seek I have little "accidents". How embarrassing...but we are all mature women here, so help me out please. Are there any natural remedies I can take to help me here. And do you think it MIGHT BE menopause??? Or something else.

Thanks for your answers. this has been bugging me. I know i'm not pregnant cause I had a tubal ligation. (that's what she was jokin it was)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 12:39 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Health

• The definition of menopause is no period for 12 consecutive months (12 in a row). The average age for American women is 51. However, Perimenopause (the years of hormonal fluctuation) occur for a period of 10-15 years preceeding and following menopause. Fluctuating hormones can cause: irregular cycles (longer or shorter), heavier or lighter periods, mood changes, night sweats, hot flashes. It DOES not have much to do with the accidents you speak of. That is more a lack of muscle tone. You should be doing 100 kegels per day every day for the rest of your life. If you are overweight, lose weight, If you smoke, stop. Chronic coughing from smoking is like pushing a baby out every time you cough, it stresses those muscles and they become slack and don't hold the bladder well. Overweight women have too much weight literally sitting on top of their bladder. So, Kegel, kegel, kegel.
    jen1350

Answer by jen1350 at 11:03 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I seriously doubt it is menopause. I am 45 and haven't even started yet. To be sure you can get the blood work up to find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Well I am 46 and I have already gone through it! I had to have a hysterectomy at 44 due to irregular periods, anemia etc... I know of several women who have gone through menopause in their late thirties and early forties so you may be correct, It is very easy to determine whether you are for sure, your doctor can do a blood test to check your estrogen levels, hope this helped.
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 12:54 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Thank you both for your answers. It's just so frustrating. I don't have a doctor which makes this even more difficult to "diagnose properly". I was hoping to find out through other women's symptoms maybe what it could be.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:07 AM on May. 7, 2009

• You are a little young to be going through menopause however it is not unheard of.  I would talk to your doctor if I were you.  These are definitely hormonal symptoms but there could be another reason for them.  Have you started a new contraceptive of changed contraceptives recently?  That could be the cause if you did.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:22 AM on May. 7, 2009

• It could be premenopause.....the early phases. I am also 39 and have these same things going on. The doctor said that I don't need treatment as of yet, but I am looking into natural things right now as well. I will be curious to see what answers might come here as well.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:29 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My best friend and her mom both went through menopause at 39. If you have not already done so, get a baseline mamogram and bone density test done. The only way to be 100 sure is to have a doctor do a blook test.
    Black cohosh is an herb that has been used for hundreds of years and definitely has helped my "power surges" (hot flashes).

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on May. 7, 2009

• It could be perimenopause. I had blood work that showed I was in menopause. I use a natural supplement that has helped with hot flashes, sweats, mood swings, and even my periods. I sleep better and feel better overall. Message me and i can give you the info on what i take. I won't be without it.!  This product is all natural and you would love it!

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 2:01 PM on May. 7, 2009

• In response to jmcan (previous post) I would love to know what you are taking if possible? I have been taking estrogen for a year and have recently given it up because I am very concerned about taking synthetic hormones. In the meantime I have been talking over the counter Estroven as well as soy Isoflavins which seem to work pretty well. I have heard that women going through menopause should be on bio identical hormones as well as testosterone. I am no expert like jen1350 above but I have done a little research. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated!
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 2:24 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Thanks for all your answers ladies!!! Hoping one of these days i'll be able to get to a doc to figure out just what the heck is going on in my body.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:30 AM on May. 9, 2009