Stage 2 baby formula?

I've been doing research on different baby formulas because I read on here that a woman was switching her son to a formula for 9-12 month old's. I had no idea it even existed. I just thought you kept your baby on regular formula until they're a year old and you start weaning them from it. Is is ABSOLUTELY neccessary to put your baby on the stage 2, or is it fine to leave them on their regular formula?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 1:01 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is fine to leave them on there original formula it is actually better to do this unless told to do other wise by your pcp. the infant formula has all of the necissary vitamins and nutrients needed until 1 year now at a year old they either need to be taken to whole milk or a toddler formula for the fat because this helps with brain development. If you do switch there formula while they are an infant make sure you do half the old formula and half the new formula for a day before going directly to the new formula so it does not hurt there belly
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 1:06 AM on May. 7, 2009

• is this something new? my daughter is only 3 and thats never something i ever heard of with her, i didn't hear about it til i got on here actually...just curious b/c i'm having our second in about 2 weeks so i wanted to know too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:09 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure if it's new or not. I heard about it on here, and I went to Nestlegoodstart.com, and went to look at all the formulas, and they had it! It said for 9-12 month olds, and even for after that.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:10 AM on May. 7, 2009

• nestle is the only formula that makes the second stage formula enfamil and simalc just have the infant formula i would not worry about changing anyhting what worked for your first will work this time. I have three all of my dd were on the same formula until they went to whole milk with the exception of my baby who is now 13 months old and we just put her on a toddler formula because she severlly allergic to milk and cannot have any protein so the toddler formula has other ingredients that she needs as atoddler. She has some medical conditions though, i would just stick to the regular infant formula
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 1:22 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My husband accidentally picked up Enfamil 9-12 months just this week! When we realized it we were a little concerned but when we compared the ingredients of the original enfamil & the stage 2 enfamil ans the stage 2 enfamil had more vitamins!! So we decided to give it a try on our now 11 month old baby girl & so far so good.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 1:37 AM on May. 7, 2009

• i dont think it really matters that much. u dont absolutely have to use it. i would be more concerned with weaning off the bottle and onto a cup more than i would be concerned about switching formulas
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:44 AM on May. 7, 2009

• btw, I have 5 kids total & none of my other kids where ever on a stage 2 formula. To answer your question, I think it's absolutely ok to stick with stage 1. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I think either way, they still get their recommended amount of vitamins.. etc..

Your absolutely right Butterflysky24! Ha
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 1:47 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Thanks. I didn't think it would be any big deal since pretty much all formula fed babies have lived on just the regular formula. I'll have to pick up a can at wal mart and compare it to my regular formula and find out what all the differences are. I was just wanting to know if they're going to start reccomending it to kids 9-12months.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 2:08 AM on May. 7, 2009