do you make stuff at home?

do you make anything at home that most people buy from the store? if so, what?

i'd really like to get my family off of boxed, processed, overpriced grocery store items and shift to homemade goods. but i need ideas of things besides baked goods.

nemiller

Asked by nemiller at 1:25 AM on May. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• homemade mac and cheese, beef stew, chilli, stuffed shells, lasanga, salsa, tortilla chips
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:27 AM on May. 7, 2009

• chicken strips that my family prefers over fast food; fried chicken; pizza rolls; pizza sauce; pizza; "manwich" sauce; salsa; burritos; pot pies; spaghetti sauce; taco seasoning; ranch dressing; sweet french dressing; thousand island dressing; BBQ sauce; hot pockets; sweet & sour chicken; beef & broccoli stir fry; waffles; pancakes; BBQ chicken wings......if you can find it premade in the store then I can probably find a recipe for it. Send me a message if you want any of the recipes!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:36 AM on May. 7, 2009

• Go to the betty crocker website and there are tons of recipes.I love to cook.I invent recipes,Ok my friend just started to see a nutrionist.He lost two pounds already and he is really sticking to his diet he told me try not to buy anything in a can but tuna,sardines,no coffee,no tea,water you can add a lemon wedge and when buying bananas buy organic .He drinks shakes .I just put all different kinds of organic food it is not that expensive.Buy pinto beans if you want beans and cook them and then put them in tupperware.Try to eat oatmeal,do not eat that much beef ,buy chicken no fries .You will feel better though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on May. 7, 2009

• subscribe to Taste of Home magazine , or check out there web site. lots of good recipes. we vary rarely eat boxed/ processed foods.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:53 AM on May. 7, 2009

• We make chili, burritos, stew, soups, tacos, sloppy joes, Indian Food, Thai food refried beans, just about anything that you can think of. If you are looking for specific recipes, feel free to contact me directly.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Yes, I don't buy much processed foods...I make fajitas, enchiladas, we grill chicken and veggies alot, salads, we make homemade pizza (crust from the store), pork tenderloin, pork chops, london broil.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:49 PM on May. 7, 2009

• Just mac and cheese and occasionally pasta sauce or chili.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:05 PM on May. 7, 2009

• hillbillyhousewife.com has a lot of good info
    lilac7779

Answer by lilac7779 at 2:36 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I do most everything from scratch - mac-n-cheese, stuffing, stews ,soups, salsa, cakes, cookies. It was how I was taught to cook and I find that there is truly no difference in cost - just in taste. I also taught my 3 kids to cook the same way. My daughter and I also enjoy canning (fruits, soup, salsa, veggies, jams).
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 3:59 PM on May. 7, 2009

• I just saw this book advertised called Unhealthy Truth. Here's the author's website:

www.robynobrien.com
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:10 PM on May. 7, 2009